Any one know a good american wheat for buddies first brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is an easy one that I enjoy.

5# Wheat Spray Malt
.5oz Perle Pellets for 60 minutes

Super easy for a beginner and tastes really good too.

I was just saying to maybe mention one. Like Wyeast 1010 or WLP320. Just whatever you use, expecially since it is a wheat.

Would like to know what kind of yeast you use (dry preferably). Been wanting a wheat and it is only my third batch (first non-kit).

No added grains or anything?

US-05 is fine for an American Wheat. Any "American Ale" type of yeast will work since you're looking for something clean and dry without much yeast character.

Would like to know what kind of yeast you use (dry preferably). Been wanting a wheat and it is only my third batch (first non-kit).

No added grains or anything?

If you are looking for dry, I think US-05 would work great.

Personally, I'd add 1/2 oz of cascade at 10 and another 1/2 oz at flameout. It's all personal preference though. Tell him that you're working up a recipe and ask if he wants any hop flavor or aroma. It'll be tasty with or without these additions. You can adjust from there.

WB-06 is a nice dry yeast for an American Wheat. I use it quite often. According to Fermentis "The yeast produces subtle estery and phenol flavour notes typical of wheat beers." Obviously this strain isn't as clean-fermenting as US-05, but it also isn't something you would use if you wanted a German weizen style either. Its kind of in between. So I guess if you want a true American Wheat then I wouldn't use it, but if you want to give it a little something extra I would consider it.

6# wheat DME
1# flaked wheat steeped at 150 for 30 mins
1 oz. hops of your choice i like tettanager, something low in AA% IMO.
safale US-05

this is what i have brewing right now and it seems to be great for a first brew.

American wheats seem to hold true to the acronym K.I.S.S.

So I took a gravity reading the other day and tasted my hefe. It was tasty.

4.5 gallons h2o
6.6 lbs Wheat LME
1 oz sterling (8.0 AA) (60 mins)
1 oz vanguard (5.4%) (10 mins)
1 oz bitter orange peel (5 mins)
1 oz sweet orange peel (5 mins)
1 oz coriander (5 mins)
1 oz sterling (flame out)

Topped to 5.25 gallons
White Labs American hefe yeast

First try at a hefe. Tasted good at room temp. Has been in the primary 21 days. Just ready to bottle.

I am afraid i used too much orange peel. Oh well

Back