Anti-IPA ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAs

• I'm all about all IPAs...

• Yea, IPAs are okay I guess...

• I can handle some APAs, but most IPAs are too much...

• No IPAs. No APAs. I'll pass on the "Hoppy Goodness".

Results are only viewable after voting.
If you have the chance to try it Caldera Brewing out of Ashland Oregon cans and IPA that is in my mind one of the most solid IPAs that I have ever had, and of course if you can get Ninkasi Tryserahops IIPA you can't go wrong.

A well made IPA is one of my favorite styles. DFH 60 and 90 minute are what turned me on to the style. Founders Centennial IPA on a fresh tapped draft is amazing.

That being said, hop overloads masquerading around as a good IPA can shove it. If you have ever tasted a DFH 90 minute that has been aged long enough so the hops flavor drops out, you know that there is a lot going on under there besides uber-hops.

why do all these people think hop bombs are good anyway? people say american IPAs are supposed to be drank fresh...wtf?

traditional IPAs were made to age over long boat rides in oak barrels. i'm sure i would enjoy THAT beer.

hrmph...i guess ill have to make one :D

I Love IPA's. It was the first beer i brewed. One of the best IPA's i've had is St. Terese's IPA from Highland Brewing Co. It is not overly hoppy but still good bittering flavor, with a great aroma.

it depends on what im in the moood for. I love hopbombs but sometimes i like to change gears and have a stout or porter... I tend to rotate styles every few weeks and it's probably because i love them all!

I voted for "all about IPAs." Because I love every one I try. You can keep your thick English oatmeal stouts and Baltic porters and German pilsners and dark lagers...while they're good, and I can appreciate why people like them so much, I'll take a nice, golden IPA, specifically a DFH 90 minute :rockin:

I'm in for Lagunitas IPA. I especially like it because it doesn't seem to be the standard Centennial/Cascade/Chinook IPA. If I recall, it is mostly Willamette hops which have a lot milder profile. Don't get me wrong, I like a good Pliney/Bastard/Dogfish, but I'll really enjoy a milder Lagunitas now and then.

Hehey, DFH 90 minute is what I plan to drink tomorrow evening! (Never think to ruin the tasting experience when I've already been drinkin' Busch cans this evenin'.)

My tastes used to wobble all over, but lately have straightened back out in the IPA direction. It's quite weird, as a former non-hophead, but It's a lot of fun! I used to be all about the porters, and Guinness on draft. I don't think I've had a Guinness in a couple months by now! It's all been High Life/Old Style/Busch/Coors when I'm out (cheapest), local strongish ESB/English IPA ish (it's borderline between - and they're two styles I've always felt overlapped) when I'm at the nice bar, or IPAs by the bottle when I'm at home. Mmmmmmmmmm. IPAland is a sweet, sweet heaven in which we rest upon fluffy clouds of hops. Join me, my friends. :fro: :fro: :fro:

I'm in for Lagunitas IPA. I especially like it because it doesn't seem to be the standard Centennial/Cascade/Chinook IPA. If I recall, it is mostly Willamette hops which have a lot milder profile. Don't get me wrong, I like a good Pliney/Bastard/Dogfish, but I'll really enjoy a milder Lagunitas now and then.

+1 gotta experiment with the hops, come up with something unique.

Update- I had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale earlier today off tap. Last time I had this years ago I didnt like it at all.

If you like it try the Broken Halo and Sierra Nevada Celebration. Broken Halo is about the same hop bitterness as SNPA (low on the IBU range for an IPA whereas SNPA is bitter for an APA), but it has more hop flavor and aroma than SNPA. Celebration is essentially SNPA kicked up to an IPA. Both beers have plenty of malt to balance the hops which is why I like them.

I am a big fan of the Avery beers because they have plenty of malt to balance the hops. I'm doing 10 gallons of Maharaja, a double IPA, next weekend. It's a very well balanced IIPA IMO; in fact it's the only commercial double IPA I have bought more than once.

I must say, the brewing process brought me around to being open to IPAs and Pale Ales in general again. I remember having some IPAs in the past and it was just off-tasting. After handling hops and dealing with the process... I can appreciate them ALOT more.

Im glad this thread took off and theres lots of people who share my feelings on this and Im not the only one...

I'll have to try the DFH 60 and 90s since I did have the Sierra Nevada PA earlier today and thoroughly enjoyed it.

You gotta crawl before ya walk!

I tried an IPA early in my appreciation for beerhood and was turned off (gerneral sherman IPA) took me all night to get through 3 of em, that is bad. Real bad.

Next I had a 12 er of SNPA, which is a quite hoppy pale, and I was a bit more open, but even that was too hoppy for this former pacifico drinker.

Finally, I found the holy grail, the beer which made hops more pleasing, more...... Inviting if you will.
I drink AT LEAST a sixer (usually more) every week, and I find it a little too low on the hop meter anymore, yet, somehow.....It still rocks.
Mirror Pond pale ale. (Mirror Pond Pale Ale)
Not as hoppy as SNPA, but damn, it just tastes better!!!
@ only 40 ibu it is not too hoppy, yet very balanced.

Next after enjoying that was Red Hook Long Hammer.(Redhook) Not even close to over the top for an ipa, (they claim 38.5 IBU, yeah right) it has the hop bitterness, it has the aroma, it's damned good beer.
it will kill your guts the next day though, and I have no idea why!
Worse than homebrew you got too much yeast from. Your coworkers will hate you. Your children will flee when you enter the room! You will buy and drink more anyway, cuz the Inhuman farts are worth it.
Then you move on to something......stronger?
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale if you are fortunate enough to find it.
Liquid crack.
Your 12 pack will be empty before you know it, and you will be effed up in no time, it's so good you try to session it, and it cannot be done that way.
The next day you will know why. The hangover will go away after your third one the next day however, just do not drink all twelve of them, and you will be cool.
You may then be tempted by that $10.00 6 pack of Stone IPA. Do not be afraid. pick it up. Drink it happily....

This process will take you 5-30 weeks to complete, and you will offcially a "HopHead"
Welcome my friend.
Welcome.

I hear a lot of people saying "I dislike overly hoppy beers."

Well DUH. Who likes overly ANYTHING beers? I don't like overly hoppy beers either. On the other hand there is no such thing as an overly hoppy IIPA. Not possible.

The bottom line is that everyone has certain tastes. I think more people need to open their palate to every style in the BJCP, really. If you say you don't like a "XXXXX" style, you are limiting yourself. Everyone who truly enjoys beer should be able to acquire at least a cursory appretiation for any style, regardless of personal preference.

I used to hate stouts, then I got on Guinness, and moved up from there. (By the way, you never hear anyone complain about overly hoppy american barley wines, do you? Because they are supposed to be in your face!)
I used to really dislike APA's and IPA's, now I love 'em (the hoppier the better!).
I used to hate belgians of any style, now I love the yeasty goodness that comes from each drop.

Hell, I USED to hate BEER, but after drinking a crap load of Bud, then moving up to Widmer hef and fat tire, and finally now I feel sad when I miss trying every single beer at a beer fest.

You may not like a style, but you CAN learn to appreciate it.

But please, don't say you dislike "overly hoppy beers." You may as well say you dislike things that aren't to your personal taste.

I like overly hoppy beers. A few years ago I would have said differently, but depending on the hops, I kind of like them. Now, I like lots of different beers, but I seem to enjoy the Cascade/Centennial stuff more now.

The Sierra Nevada Celebration was awesum!

I tried a Founders Centennial IPA last night and thought it was pretty good, but SNPA is probably one I'd drink more of. My wife stole a sip of Centennial last night and basically said her body was telling her that it was WRONG, JUST WRONG!

he he...

I also tried a Founders Breakfast Stout, because I had gotten away from stouts in general, and though I should try a few to see how I like them now. This was def a different experience! The coffee and chocolate was NOT in the background! I did enjoy it, but I doubt I'd want to drink it all the time. Probably with the right food it would best.

Still think Bell Two-Hearted is in the lead for me. SNPA and Centennial are right up there. The Michigan Brewing Company High Seas IPA I have on tap is good, but there is a LOT of resin flavor IMO, and some sweet too. I've had it for a few months, and you can taste the difference. The hops and resin are less, and the sweet is still there, but it's more balanced now. Too bad I'm getting low.

IPA is one of the most non creative beers. Its simply a market commodity. I understand why people like the beverage. Its fun and in your face. I prefer complexity to one dimensional bitter.

Some have a malty preference, some have a bitter preference. I like balance. The most drinkable IPA for me is Andersen Valley Hop Ottin. I like the hints of clove imparted from the oats.

There are many undesirable properties of hops. It is contains phyto estrogens. It is also a sedating plant. The term "brewers droop" is directly related to hops. IPA is bad for the male mojo.

On the other end of the spectrum women in menopause should probably be drinking double ipa daily.

I've found that most IPA's are kind of like hot sauces that are made super hot just for bragging rights, but don't have any flavor to back it up. Most IPA's are all about hitting you in the head with the hop bitter, but don't have anything worth noting to go along with it.

IPA is one of the most non creative beers. Its simply a market commodity. I understand why people like the beverage. Its fun and in your face. I prefer complexity to one dimensional bitter.
I disagree with this statement - I think that many IPAs lack creativity, but I also believe that, with the myriad of awesome hop varieties, and what their flavors contribute to a beer, both singly and in combination, can be a work of art, if done just right. I think it's a bit unfair to call the entire style uncreative.

There are many undesirable properties of hops. It is contains phyto estrogens. It is also a sedating plant.

I can't find the thread - but this is pretty much true, there is a thread around here somewhere that links to the study that was done. Many of the chemicals in hops are very beneficial to women and their "assets". And as any fan of hop-bombs knows, more than a couple really hoppy IPAs has a propensity to put you a'snoozing, whether you planned to or not. :p

Well, at least now we KNOW that IPA's are only "one dimensional bitter."

Never mind that most are dry-hopped, hopped for flavor and hopped for bitterness. I would call that at least three-dimensional bitter. Not sure why we are using dimensions to quantify taste, tho...

But I understand why you would dislike IPA's. You don't have enough testosterone to combat the alpha acids! Me on the other hand, I got some to spare. Send me a bottle and I'll fill it with man juice for you.:mug:

Damn, that's a pretty harsh criticism to bestow on a particular style. I've had crappy IPA's that were pretty much one dimensional, and I've had IPA's that were so complex I still haven't figured them out. If I didn't like a particular style of beer, I suppose I could make the same comment, but that wouldn't be fair. I don't particularly care for sour beers, and I could say that all sour beers are just sour, but I wouldn't because it's not the case. I'll always try a new sour, because I might find one that totally rocks my world.

SWMBO and I love a good IPA. We don't like the ones that's just loaded with hops for bitters, but ones that have a great hop flavor and aroma along with the bitter. One of the IPAs I've liked as of late is the one Bridgeport puts out, a good balance of hops and bitters.

You know there are not shortage of opinions on HBT, and so with the voting lining up the way is has, and the comments I've been reading, I'd say that among the people here, IPAs are a very respected, and well-liked style of beer.

Most agree that an IPA should have complexity, or at least not be just about the bitter. Most agree that an IPA should be balanced, but maybe balanced in favor of the hop profile.

Don't you agree that this is the direction that is apparent in the voting and the comments?

You know there are not shortage of opinions on HBT, and so with the voting lining up the way is has, and the comments I've been reading, I'd say that among the people here, IPAs are a very respected, and well-liked style of beer.

Most agree that an IPA should have complexity, or at least not be just about the bitter. Most agree that an IPA should be balanced, but maybe balanced in favor of the hop profile.

Don't you agree that this is the direction that is apparent in the voting and the comments?

No! I agree on nothing!!

j/k

Yeah, you're right:cross:

Homer, A well balanced beer is definately preferred. I still like the shock factor once in awhile though.

I have never been a fan of an IPA. Out of all the styles, I would say it was the worst for me and the APA wasn't far behind.

I have a friend who grew up as a neighbor to Stone Brewing and well grew up as a hop head. He is imparting this into me a bit and I am even brewing the Stone IPA clone tonight so he can try it.

I am taking it slow, I definately like an APA, IPA are definateley growing on me but I still can't devour a Stone Ruination (IIPA) yet :cross:

I have never been a fan of an IPA. Out of all the styles, I would say it was the worst for me and the APA wasn't far behind.
I am taking it slow, I definately like an APA, IPA are definateley growing on me but I still can't devour a Stone Ruination (IIPA) yet :cross:

Im right with you...

I love IPAs and even the hugely hoppy ones are usually good for me.

It didn't begin like this though. My first IPA was a Bridgeport in college and my friend didn't like it so he handed me the bottle. I thought it was one of the worst kinds I'd ever tried. I took a couple more drinks and didn't finish it, but I think the main problem was that I drank a few Coronas before trying the IPA. Somehow I tried IPAs again and put that experience behind me.

What I love most about a good IPA is when you take that first smell its like sticking your nose in a bag of hops. My favorite even though they don't call it an IPA is Alpha King by Three Floyds. Most good IPAs also have that good maltiness to balance out the bitter.

I picked up a couple of Sierra Nevada Pale Ales and Celebration Ales on Friday and tried them over the weekend. They're not bad, but you really need to be a hop-head to love them, because that's ALL they taste like. I actually thought the SNPA tasted a bit like pine, there was so much in there.

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't drink either again. Actually, I'm looking forward to drinking the other SNPA I got tonight, to try and search out anything I might have missed.

Something interesting, though, is that I could feel a warmth in my throat that I can only attribute to the high concentration of hops. Anyone else notice that?

Something interesting, though, is that I could feel a warmth in my throat that I can only attribute to the high concentration of hops. Anyone else notice that?

YES - but not any more.

That used to be my big problem WITH IPAs!!!

I marked it up to a personal allergy. After a few months without IPAs, I tried some again, and the symptoms did not reappear.

Oddly - Great Divide Titan IPA was one that really, REALLY wrecked my throat earlier. Now it just tastes awesome.

My favorite is the Stone IPA followed closely behind by SNCA. I tried the DFH 90 and did not like it at all. Maybe some of the more experienced IPA folks can tell me why. I have a friend that is going to pick me up some Rogue, Bells, and Avery this weekend so I can expand my IPA palate (selection around here is nill).

I love it.

I really appreciate it when it's balanced, of course, but I can still enjoy a totally
unbalanced "trendy garbage" hoppy brew like Hop Wallop, for example.

I just love breathing out through my nose after swallowing and having all the hop
flavors explode. I can't get my hands on Pliny, but Ruination is a damn good one
and I still crave more.

I love other beers too, but I can't stand drinking sweet brown beers like GD's Hibernation
Ale... It's like a bottle of syrup, unbalanced in the opposite direction.

Guess I'm a "hop head"

Edit - +1 on the Torpedo, I enjoyed it immensely for the price

If you want to test your hops limitations, try Ruination from Stone Brewing. If you love it (like I did once I had a few and it grew on me), then you will enjoy any well-made IPA.

Latest posts

Back