Anti-IPA ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAs

• I'm all about all IPAs...

• Yea, IPAs are okay I guess...

• I can handle some APAs, but most IPAs are too much...

• No IPAs. No APAs. I'll pass on the "Hoppy Goodness".

Results are only viewable after voting.

BillyVegas

Reaction score
Anyone else with me?

I mean, I love what hops bring to the table... but most IPAs are just... a little too much on the hops for me.

IPAs make me feel hops aren't my thing... could I be foolish?

Perhaps.

I disagree with you, I love IPAs. In fact my first truly enjoyed beer was a Dogfish Head 60min.

Yea, lots of people dig on the IPAs... I just can't seem to dig them. I mean, I can drink them- it's a rare occasion I enjoy it however.

Pale Ales, unrelated, I find a bit more tolerable.

Perhaps as the more I home brew the more I can appreciate the glory of the hops. Love the smell of them... so I suppose I'm on the way...

I agree with you to some extent. Some of the IPAs that I have had, seem that they try to go too big and there is absolutely no balance. Just bitter and floral/spicy/etc. I like IPAs that are balanced when it comes to alcohol, maltiness, and hops. Nothing too harsh. I have done a few IPAs and had some of my best results using a continual hop addition, like what Dogfish Head does. I add hops every 6-10 mins with a little more (quantity) added in the earlier additions. I don't remember which types I have used, and liked the best, but Cascade is a major one for flavoring/dry hopping.

You're brewing to make beer YOU like, right? I'm not partial to skunky beers, but some people want to brew them, so more power to 'em! To each his or her own.

Maybe you should try making an IPA, and if you don't like it, send it to me!:D

You're brewing to make beer YOU like, right?

Well . . . not lately LOL

I've learned to appreciate them but most IPAs are just trendy hoppy garbage.

I've tasted some very good IPAs but as one pro brewer told me when discussing opening a brewpub - "make sure you make more non-extreme beer, to many brewers think more hops mean better beer."

The beer I'm always being asked to make more of are ambers and Brown Ales which are my fav.

Clearly, it's a matter of taste.. but mosyslack I think hit on what I was talking about. Lots of the ones I've had are just... I suppose JUST hops. I don't get a good balance. Really turns me off to the way a IPA I think could be enjoyed.

IPA Drinkers, any recommendations of some brews I should sample?

Kungpaodog- I could send you some of my test IPA batch when the time comes, but you're gonna have to try to sell me on the IPA first. It's pretty low on the list as of now...

Bridgeport IPA (a VERY mellow AIPA)
Belhaven Twisted Thistle (EIPA)
Widmer Broken Halo

Once you get a taste for those, you're sure to crave more hops. Then you'd want Stone IPA, Blind Pig, and Pliny.

You need to try Brooklyn East India Pale Ale. It's not too over the top hopped up and it is very balanced. Sometimes to me beers that are not hoppy seem too sweet. Anyway, It's all about what style of beers you like: if you don't like super hoppy beers steer away from IPA's. I think there are 2 different styles with IPA's (not including imperials and doubles) - American IPA and English IPA....the EIPA's aren't so over the top with the hops.:fro:

Man, you clearly don't have the selection I do.

I gravitate towards brown ales, porters, and stouts. I will say though, that a well made IPA is an amazing thing, and if the style doesn't suit you, that's understandable, but don't knock a style until you've sat in a bar with more than 5 stellar examples on at ones.

There are plenty of garbage beers in the world, IPAs included. But we're talking about beer here, and every style has its merits regardless of what we're into or what is popular this second.

Clearly, it's a matter of taste.. but mosyslack I think hit on what I was talking about. Lots of the ones I've had are just... I suppose JUST hops. I don't get a good balance. Really turns me off to the way a IPA I think could be enjoyed.

As with most recommendations, I think starting with a list of commercial examples you've already tried is in order. It'll give everybody an idea of how well you've sampled the style.

+1 on broken halo.

I too am often "anti IPA" but now that all my broken halo is gone I find myself looking for more... Damn seasonal packs!

I've never cared for any "hop-head" beer / ale / whatever. Not my thing. An occasional Bridgeport IPA is fine -- but the best I've had is just driving across town to the Bridgeport Brewery and having fresh IPA on tap - now thats good.

Sierra Pale Ale -- good ---- Full Sail Amber Ale --- good --- Black Butte Porter -- good

So brew what you like --- I'm focusing on mild ambers ales.

We went to Germany last Summer (and Paris) --- had some great beers and ales. Two stick out:
Bischoff Beer in Germany -- went down like beer flavored silk - amazing
A French Lager or Pilsnor -- very smooth - after 3 glasses my French was reduced to "Bonjour !"

And none of these were hoppy - but I was happy:drunk:

Anyone else with me?

I mean, I love what hops bring to the table... but most IPAs are just... a little too much on the hops for me.

Perhaps.

i think your palate has yet to experience a good ipa. There is a HUGE difference between a low IBU Ipa and and high IBU one. Personally i prefer the midrange as some of the higher IBU versions have a bite to them

Depends on the hops used, I tend to like the citrusy PNW hops in my IPAs.

You know for me it just depends on what time of year it is, the weather, and my mood. Sometime you will get in a mood for a nice abbey ale. other times a porter. even sometimes an American trash beer like Miller high life! I believe ALL beers have their place and time. And I think one day you will crave a super hopped up IPA.

Well . . . not lately LOL

Wow- you've made a huge generalization here. I've said it before- there is no accounting for personal taste, no 'gold standard' that sets one style/example over another. This is all hopelessly and fatally subjective.

IPAs and sour beers are, like non-Western music and single malt whisky, an acquired taste. It can take time for one's palate to develop a degree of sophistication where you can truly appreciate the unique contributions of the style. But, there's absolutely nothing wrong if you don't care for them, of course! Everyone's palate is different- and what you enjoy, I may abhor. C'est la vie!

American IPAs are just one of those styles where the mentality of bigger is better dominates, trying to pack as many high alpha acid hops into a single batch to strip the enamel off the taster's teeth. It's a brewer's version of the pissing contest.

I do enjoy a big honkin' IPA from time to time, though. :D

Jason

Well, to each their own. I personally enjoy a bit of IPA from time to time (ok, lots of times), but I do like other styles as well. Now, sour Belgian beers? YUCK! Tose are not for me. I dont' care much for wine either.

I have Michigan Brewing Company IPA on tap at home, and it's ok, but there is a bitter aftertaste that kind of ruins the complete enjoyment. I prefer Sierra Nevada, even though it's not as hoppy, and I really like Bell's Two Hearted. Plenty hoppy, yet more balanced.

I've also enjoyed a couple of the "Extreme" IPAs. Not something that I'd drink all the time, but fun for the occasional getting out of the rut.

I love Harpoon's IPA as well as DogfishHeads 60 minute and HopDevil. Recently tried Dogfish's 120minute IPA and that was TOO much for me. I see why they only sell them in 4 packs!

i like some I.P.A.'s
there is just a fine line between good/well-balanced I.P.A. and overly sharp "hop-bomb"

personally though, if i want some serious hop flavor, i like something that packs a nice malt profile as well.... like a barleywine or imperial stout.

Recently tried Dogfish's 120minute IPA and that was TOO much for me. I see why they only sell them in 4 packs!

they sell em in 4-packs?
i've only seen em sold as singles.
being that those singles are 8-10 bucks, i'd assume a 4-pack would be expensive.

i like 120, although i think that's partially because the alcohol and malt flavors help to mellow the hop bitterness, and bring out the hop flavor and aroma

they sell em in 4-packs?
i've only seen em sold as singles.
being that those singles are 8-10 bucks, i'd assume a 4-pack would be expensive.

i like 120, although i think that's partially because the alcohol and malt flavors help to mellow the hop bitterness, and bring out the hop flavor and aroma

You are very much correct. I was thinking of the 90 Minutes. We bought em both the same day. My bad!

Kungpaodog- I could send you some of my test IPA batch when the time comes, but you're gonna have to try to sell me on the IPA first. It's pretty low on the list as of now...

English IPAs are generally more malt forward than American IPAs and have less hop flavor and aroma. Tons of hop flavor and aroma really is the hallmark of the American style.

I would try anything English you can find. DFH tend to be more malt balanced as well. I'm sure there are more American examples of the English interpretation but I tend to go for the classic dry and hoppy American interpretation.

I've really enjoyed every IPA I've come across. However, its Pale Ales like Sierra Navada's that I really enjoy the most. In fact, I have a clone fermenting right now and am dying to try it.

I love me some IPA but I can't drink them all night. I'll start off with a Stone IPA or Dogfish head 90 minute. It leaves enough hops aftertaste on my tongue to make a regular pale ale seem like an IPA.

The extreme nature is what many like in an IPA and after many sessions, dogfish head 90 minute its not as extreme to my taste buds as it used to be, so I gotta go to the 120. Eventually that will lose its extremeness as well.

I like mine to have TONS of aroma, but be a bit less in hop flavor. Not sure I've had an English IPA or not. I really like the American, especially if it uses Centennial and or Cascade.

Anyone else with me?

Perhaps.

Im not with you at all. I love a good IPA. Sierra Nevada Celebration is one of the best out there. Good hoppy beers are amazing if brewed right.

Got to start out small and work your way up.

Think of an IPA like your first day in prison. When Bubba comes up to initiate you you really don't want him to have that big of a package. After a few weels with Bubba (Broken Halo) you kind of get used to it and then when King Dong (Dogfish 120) comes up and wants to make you his b!tch you accept it a lot easier and might actually look forward to it because you started out small.

Think of an IPA like your first day in prison. When Bubba comes up to initiate you you really don't want him to have that big of a package. After a few weels with Bubba (Broken Halo) you kind of get used to it and then when King Dong (Dogfish 120) comes up and wants to make you his b!tch you accept it a lot easier and might actually look forward to it because you started out small.

Off to the quote thread with you!

I kinda want to laugh at this, but somehow I just can't.

OTOH - If you start with HOPSLAM! from Bell's, then most other beer tastes like Bud Light.

I do love a hoppy IPA, but there are many out there that don't have the malt character to back up the hops. Those seem a bit hollow tasting to me.

As for examples of IPAs I've had...Harpoon, Arrogant Bastard, Sierra Nevada Celebration, and others but I cant remember. Don't have my specific recollections on what I didn't like about each one in particular- but the common denominator would be... IPA.

I can stomach some Pale Ales, which makes me think I can develop the taste for IPAs, but... that's a different ballgame I suppose.

This is the best post I've seen in a while.

Well played.

It's a lot like this;

animation2.gif

:mug:

Also - I think to be fair we have to distinguish between IPA and IIPA.

I LOVE a flavorful, mid-range IPA. BierMuncher's Outer Limits is a good example, it's not over-the-top... He pushed the numerical limits of the IPA style but his recipe is still very balanced.

I do NOT love crazy over-the-top IIPAs that exist solely to kick you in the face, and say nasty things about your mother.

So, I think it's a little unfair to belittle an entire style of beer, just because a few examples go a bit beyond the norm, or are unbalanced.

Just my two little pennies. Everyone's got an opinion.

.....now, if you want a beer that will scare the panties right off of any BMC drinker............Cantillion Gueze. Buahahahaha. DELICIOUS sour beer. I love you, sour beer. You are my friend. I will drink you.

Edit: Also. LMFAO at that animation! Thanks for sharing that, Tenchiro!

Back