Anti-IPA ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAs

• I'm all about all IPAs...

• Yea, IPAs are okay I guess...

• I can handle some APAs, but most IPAs are too much...

• No IPAs. No APAs. I'll pass on the "Hoppy Goodness".

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've come to be more hop tolerant, but I am in no way a fan of IPAs or APAs. Just not my thing. I'm more into wheat beers, and starting to develop a taste for stouts.

As I said before I am a big fan of IPA's. Im also a big fan of taste.
What I mean by taste is...

I'm a big fan of taste, and when I drink most american IPAs, I can't taste anything for a couple hours. I don;t like burnt out taste buds.

There are some real good ones, but most are too unbalanced.

I love IPA's, even the extreme hoppy ones. That being said, I do also love not so hoppy beers.

SNPA is my beer of choice, :mug: that is the one that got me liking beer in the first place. Torpedo is okay every once in a while, not a huge fan. Their Celebration Ale this year is a good IPA, and their Estate Ale (Wet Hop IPA) is phenomenal :rockin:.......worth every penny of $7.84

I also enjoy Stone IPA, I tried the Ruination and thought it was pretty good. Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin is a tasty treat, that's the one that got me hooked on IPA's.

You can totally continue to dislike IPA's, more hops for me, and less product wasted on a non hop head!!

Wow... I don't believe this thread is still raging. That's great.

My opinion has shifted slightly from my original posting... The more I was exposed to brewing at home and hops in their raw form, the more I got to learn to love them. I'm still no uber- hop head but.. I can down some IPAs and appreciate them much more now.

Thank the Hoptoberfest I hit while I was in Denver a few weeks back. All local breweries with local hops harvested with in a few days... mostly wet-hopped. Mmmm... hops.

The more exposed I have become to different beer styles, the more I have tried. I have begun to really appreciate hops more and hoppy beers. I stay away from the over the top IPAs, but it has become one of my favorite beer styles.

I really like the new SN Torpeda IPA quite a bit. . .

American IPAs are one of my least favorite styles. I can drink them, sure, chilled on a hot summer day, but that's a rare occasion. The acidic C-hop mouthful is just unpleasant to me.
That said, British IPA is one of my absolute favorite styles; Sam Smith India Ale, Meantime IPA, Worthington, that stuff is nectar of the gods! I'd say the same for US versions of the style, eg Shipyard Fuggles IPA. Hoppy but balanced, and IMO a much truer representation of what an IPA should be. The whole American IPA phenomenon seems to me to be based on misunderstandings and myths about what the original beer was like. But to each his own, I suppose.

It's just the American "bigger is better" mentality. I agree on the English IPA...a good maris otter backbone with bold earthy hops like fuggle really make for an amazing beer.

If I do make a hoppy American beer, I prefer Amarillo over the C hops.

I'm in the "balanced" camp. I'm all for hops, but I want a malt backbone to hold them up. Otherwise, it's like drinking a one-dimensional hop tea that can put you on the floor. I lose interest in that sort of beer fairly quickly.

Don't get me wrong. I get a rush out of something that might make my head spin around four times and have me scraping alpha acids off my tongue after half a pint, but it's not what I want very often. Likewise, I don't want to spend my entire life on a roller coaster, but they are mighty fun now and then.

TL

Latest posts

Back