Another starter yeast questiong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcsum68

Reaction score
I want to brew my Octoberfest, but I have family coming and the are getting in the way!

So, next week I will be out of town on Thursday and Friday and coming home on Saturday, but I would like to brew on Sunday.

Question is, can I do my starter yeast on say Tuesday, and another small batch on Wednesday and then let it sit for 3 days, or should I just wait?

I dont want to ruin it, so if there is a possibility of that I will just wait.

Thanks all!

I would just make a half gallon or bigger on Wednesday. Let it sit and you should be fine. Is there anybody that could swirl it up for you while you are gone? That would help as well.

If it's a true Oktoberfest (lager yeast), I would do it now and then put it in the fridge Wednesday night or Thursday morning to settle out the yeast. Lager starters can be done 7-10 days in advance vs. ale yeast starters.

Yeah you should be able to do that just fine, it would be nice if someone could swirl it for you or if you have a stir plate then well your good to go.

It is a true lager, and I will need to have someone give my fat a$$ cat his shots, so I could probably get someone to stir it up.

Just have them pull it from the fridge and shake it up once or twice a day?

And should I shake it up a few times a day before then?

I will do it this weekend, thanks for the assistance.

The more the merrier. Hence a stir plate being the most efficient. The more the yeast is suspended the more sugar it eats and the more it multiplies.

It is a true lager, and I will need to have someone give my fat a$$ cat his shots, so I could probably get someone to stir it up.

Just have them pull it from the fridge and shake it up once or twice a day?

And should I shake it up a few times a day before then?

I will do it this weekend, thanks for the assistance.

You should only swirl it around before putting it in the fridge. Once it's in the fridge, you want the yeast to settle so you can decant off the wort before pitching. It's meant to be finished fermenting before going in the fridge.

You should only swirl it around before putting it in the fridge. Once it's in the fridge, you want the yeast to settle so you can decant off the wort before pitching. It's meant to be finished fermenting before going in the fridge.

Good tidbit.

Back