Another line length question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowfisher

Reaction score
My first keezer is almost finished and I'm very close to making the move to kegging. I think I know what I need as far as line length for my serving lines, but a guy working at the local homebrew store told me that CO2 line lengths were just as important. I don't understand why since I will be using a regulator to control pressure, not flow. He also told me I don't need more than 5' of serving line per keg but most calculators I've used are telling me I'll need almost 10'. I feel like he's giving me bad info but I don't know enough myself to say for sure.

flow / foam is based on Keg Pressure, Serving PSI, Temperature, Line Length, and inner diameter of the lines.

To properly balance the system you need to take all into account. There's a ton of reading you can do here on the subject. But FWIW in general 10' lines @ ~40º around 12psi will get you nice 10 second pours with just the right amount of head.

At least in my Keezer it does, YMMV

The guy at the brew store obviously doesn't know what he is talking about. He's just repeating what someone else (who didn't know either) told him. Listen to the people who know the science. For beer line lengths look here. Gas line lengths don't matter (as long as they reach from the gas supply to the keg. :) )

Brew on :mug:

Thanks for the replies, just verifies that the guy is an idiot like I thought. Think I'll speak to the owner of the store next time I go in, he seems really knowledgable and should probably know his employees are giving bad info!

The guy at the brew store obviously doesn't know what he is talking about. He's just repeating what someone else (who didn't know either) told him. Listen to the people who know the science. For beer line lengths look here. Gas line lengths don't matter (as long as they reach from the gas supply to the keg. :) )

Brew on :mug:

Agreed.

Ive used uber short Co2 lines and moderately long Co2 lines (both my house and my brothers) and the beer line is what makes the pour...

You get a consistent PSI of gas to the keg, but you meet resistance in the beer line (with diameter and length taken into account) that you dont get with the gas side.

Latest posts

Back