And the secret ingredient is...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Inspired by Yooper's thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/playing-chopped-home-451423/

I wanted to start and "Iron Chef" style thread.

Secret Ingredient: scallops!!!

Specifically, I picked up a bunch of those tiny Patagonian scallops. Too small really to do the whole pan seared thing (would be a pain to flip 'em all).

Outside of sprimp/scallop ceviche, I'm at a loss...

Your 60 minutes starts now...

Quick sear then toss with bread crumbs, parmesan, lime juice, cilantro and creole seasoning. Cut a pocket in a(very) thick steak and stuff them in. Tie or skewer shut and grill

I would grind up or finely chop some shrimp. I would add some soy sauce, little honey, sesame oil, minced ginger and garlic, maybe a little cilantro and the whole scallops. Bind with a little corn starch or egg.
Then I'd take some square wonton wrappers and make open faced shumai dumplings. I would fry their little bottoms in a large fry pan for a few minutes then add some broth, cover and steam them.

That with some dipping sauce of your choice.

Sweat shredded red cabbage with a few shaves of lemon zest and 2 or 3 cloves as well as salt and pepper until they have reduced in volume but still have a little chew.

Dust scallops with curry powder and sautee on each side just until they get a nice color and the scallops are cooked through. Serve scallops on top of a bed of the cabbage.

You will have a lot of left over time within the 60 minute allotment, though.

Yooper said:
Use them in place of crabmeat for a stuffing for stuffed shrimp or stuffed "something"!

What?!!! Replace crabmeat? Yooper I just took you off my Xmas card list.
And you lost your "guy" card! Even tho you don't have one, I'm taking it anyway.

image-2751763979.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 118
How about a nice, creamy, buttery scallop chowder? Stir-fry those bitty scallops in butter, then toss'em in the soup pot with a few taters, celery, mushrooms, scallions, bay leaf, rosemary & black pepper in a cream base.
Garnish with fresh parsley & serve with fresh baked sourdough or soda bread.
I'm making myself hungry. Regards, GF.

Back