And the secret ingredient is...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Reaction score
Inspired by Yooper's thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/playing-chopped-home-451423/

I wanted to start and "Iron Chef" style thread.

Secret Ingredient: scallops!!!

Specifically, I picked up a bunch of those tiny Patagonian scallops. Too small really to do the whole pan seared thing (would be a pain to flip 'em all).

Outside of sprimp/scallop ceviche, I'm at a loss...

Your 60 minutes starts now...

Heavywalker

Reaction score
I would do a Scallop bisque soup with a grilled cheese and scallop sandwich on sourdough bread.

niquejim

Burrowing Owl Brewery
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Quick sear then toss with bread crumbs, parmesan, lime juice, cilantro and creole seasoning. Cut a pocket in a(very) thick steak and stuff them in. Tie or skewer shut and grill

Cider123

Reaction score
I would grind up or finely chop some shrimp. I would add some soy sauce, little honey, sesame oil, minced ginger and garlic, maybe a little cilantro and the whole scallops. Bind with a little corn starch or egg.
Then I'd take some square wonton wrappers and make open faced shumai dumplings. I would fry their little bottoms in a large fry pan for a few minutes then add some broth, cover and steam them.

That with some dipping sauce of your choice.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Sweat shredded red cabbage with a few shaves of lemon zest and 2 or 3 cloves as well as salt and pepper until they have reduced in volume but still have a little chew.

Dust scallops with curry powder and sautee on each side just until they get a nice color and the scallops are cooked through. Serve scallops on top of a bed of the cabbage.

You will have a lot of left over time within the 60 minute allotment, though.

Brewsncrabs

Reaction score
Yooper said:
Use them in place of crabmeat for a stuffing for stuffed shrimp or stuffed "something"!
What?!!! Replace crabmeat? Yooper I just took you off my Xmas card list.
And you lost your "guy" card! Even tho you don't have one, I'm taking it anyway.

image-2751763979.jpg

insanim8er

Banned
Reaction score

Attachments

gratus fermentatio

Reaction score
How about a nice, creamy, buttery scallop chowder? Stir-fry those bitty scallops in butter, then toss'em in the soup pot with a few taters, celery, mushrooms, scallions, bay leaf, rosemary & black pepper in a cream base.
Garnish with fresh parsley & serve with fresh baked sourdough or soda bread.
I'm making myself hungry. Regards, GF.