American Brown Ale Reciepe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryancericson11

Reaction score
This is my first American Brown Ale, would appreciate comments on the extract with specialty grain recipe, I will steep specialty grains and mash Munich Malt and Honey Malt. Thoughts on dry hopping with Citra? I might just use the left over cascade/Willamette.

5.5 gallon batch
60 min boil
IBU: 39
OG: 1.053
FG: 1.012
Yeast: California WLP001
ABV: 5.2

Percents rounded
3.6 lbs Golden LME (43%)
3.0 lbs Golden DME (36%)
0.5 lbs Crystal 80 (6%)
0.5 lbs Chocolate Malt 350 (6%)
0.4 lbs Munich Malt (4.5%)
0.2 lbs Crystal 120 (2.25%)
0.2 lbs Honey Malt (2.25%)

Nugget (12%) 0.5 oz (60 min)
Willamette (4.75%) 0.5 oz (30 min)
Willamette (4.75%) 0.5 oz (15 min)
Cascade (5.75%) 0.5 oz (15 min)
Willamette (4.75%) 0.25 oz (5 min)
Cascade (5.75%) 0.5 oz (5 min)
Cascade (5.75%) 0.5 oz (flame out)

Dry hop Citra (12%) 1 oz (8 days)

Last edited:
You might consider simplifying your grain bill. I make one that is (roughly) the below, and it works very, very well:
85% pale malt
10% C60
5% Chocolate

I try to keep things as simple as possible--small amounts of many grains tend to end up with a 'muddy' flavor where you can't really distinguish anything. I ask myself: why am I adding this? If I can't answer with a specific reason, I cut it out. This is especially true (for me) when I'm creating a recipe for a style I haven't brewed before. Your recipe will be tough to tweak with so many small additions.

Same goes for the hop schedule. In this same recipe, I use a 60 min addition (Northern Brewer), then an ounce of Cascade at 15min and another ounce of Cascade at flameout.

MikenMKE - I like moose drool also. I will let you know how it turns out.

Milan37 - I agree that hop bill is too much wanted to layer earthy, spice, and floral and got bit carried away. I am going to tweak it and brew this week. Also I will take your suggestion and simplify by only using C80. I usually split my extract and add dry extract at the beginning of boil and recently began adding adding liquid extract at flameout because of this forum

I appreciate your responses, also I will use the recipe forum next time.

Back