Amberweizen Recipe - Please Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Another brew day is right around the corner! Recently, I've taken to brewing 3 gallon batches, meaning that with a small (1L) starter, I can use a Wyeast smack pack/WL pure pitch for two different batches at once. I've got a pack of Wyeast 3068 kicking around, and figured I'd brew my trusty dunkelweizen.

It's a little too deep into winter in my neck of the woods to justify using the other 1/2 of the yeast for a light, summery hefe, so I thought why not try to brew something in between? I threw together this "Amberweizen" recipe, and would love to hear what folks have to say about it:

OG: 1.054
Projected FG: 1.013
Projected ABV: 5.3%
IBU: 18
SRM (Morey): 12
Efficiency: 80%

3 lbs Wheat Malt (50%)
2.25 lbs Vienna (38%)
0.5 lbs Caramunich III (8.5%)
0.2 lbs Special B (3.5%)

Mash at 153* for 60 mins

0.5 oz Hallertau (4.1% AA) at 60 mins
0.5 oz Hallertau (4.1% AA) at 10 mins

Wyeast 3068

Pitch/ferment at 67-68* for two weeks.

I'm hoping for a fairly substantial (but not cloying) crystal malt presence, with the banana characteristics of 3068 slightly more prominent than the clove.

Any and all feedback would be much appreciated!
Cheers!

I think it looks okay, worth brewing. Might be a little too much crystal malt for my tastes. If I was going to brew it, I would use a total of 8oz crystal (8% in this case) at the most and I'd probably use a lighter crystal like carared/caravienne instead of the caramunich. If you want more color then use a sprinkle of carafa special (2-4oz)

Latest posts

Back