Amarillo Saison Recipe Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBuch

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this saison recipe? How do you think it will taste?

Mash Temp 150 - 152

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
Belgian Pilsen Malt 7.00 lb 58.3 % 2.1 In Mash/Steeped
German Wheat Malt 4.00 lb 33.3 % 1.1 In Mash/Steeped
Belgian Aromatic Malt 0.50 lb 4.2 % 1.8 In Mash/Steeped
Sugar - Turbinado 0.50 lb 4.2 % 0.9 Start Of Boil

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
US Amarillo 8.4 % 0.75 oz 21.9 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min
US Amarillo 8.4 % 0.50 oz 8.8 Loose Pellet Hops 20 Min
US Amarillo 8.4 % 1.25 oz 0.0 Loose Pellet Hops 0

Yeast: French Saison 3711 (I hear it is spicy)

Seems a little light on grain, maybe add 2-3pounds more Pils malt. But, my experience with saison has been limited to ones that are 7-9% abv.

Amarillo is a great hop, very versitile, but I'd swap some of it for something lighter and milder like Saaz, espeically for flavour.

Nothing wrong with a 5-6% saison. I think I prefer them. I also like more traditional hops in a saison such as the aforementioned Saaz or Styrian Goldings, but Amarillo would be a nice American twist and should complement that Wy3711 nicely. I definitely support the big flameout hop charge.

Looks good. I wouldn't go bigger. That yeast is great and spicy. Not belgian like at all. Those hops wont really be true to style, but making your own recipes is half the fun. It will br interesting to see how that spice and grapefruit work together

Boulevard uses Amarillo in their Tank 7 Saison, and it's a pretty great beer. Just got done brewing one yesterday with Warrior/Simcoe/Amarillo. Just need to wait to see how it turns out, even if it isn't exactly following any style guidelines.

i recently did a saison with citra and amarillo hops as 15min additions - its amazing! probably the best saison i've ever had. I also used the french saison yeast along with yeast cultured from hennepin. gravity got all the way down to 1.003 and the beer itself has got some citrus and definitely a lot of spice and some peppery notes! I highly recommend it for a change up to the traditional saison! add some flair to your beer!

Back