Amarillo pairing for simple APA without grapefruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chromegelatin

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a fairly simple pale ale recipe using amarillo but avoiding it being a grapefruit dominate flavor. I know there is a lot of posts on amarillo, but I couldn't really find any on avoiding the grapefruit. I've made several other IPA's and Ambers that were grapefruity and delicious. However for this recipe I would rather emphasize the orange side if possible.
I believe this means leaving out things like centennial, chinook and simcoe. I have several NZ hops and hand and get all the regulars at the LHBS. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Why do you need to pair it with anything? Why not use just Amarillo, and compliment it with some orange zest?

If you do want some good compliments:

Ahtanum has some heavy orange notes, but is also a bit earthy/resiny.

Zythos has tangerine notes.

Pacifica is pretty orange-y.

I did a quick search, and it looks like the most popular combo for an orange flavor is the Zythos/Ahtanum combo.

Good luck!

I feel Amarillo is tangerine and peach/apricot. I don't think you necessarily need to pair it with anything else, but Cascade or Centennial would be classic and keep it in the orange vein.

Another vote for Ahtanum. Orange is also paired excellently with Mosaic hops. Ahtanum + Mosaic = heaven

Simcoe.

Simcoe.

Simcoe.

My go-to for IPA is just Amarillo and Simcoe, in equal parts, 1.5 total ounces dry hopped, 1 oz for 20 minutes, and a neutral bittering hop like magnum or warrior: stone fruit and passion fruit with a hint of pine.

Simcoe is the ultimate grapefruit. I love it, a great pair with Amarillo, but not what the OP is looking for.

I've not noticed grapefruit with simcoe + amarillo, but I will look for it next time I brew this. Like I said, I mostly get stone fruit/passion fruit and hints of pine.

Why do you need to pair it with anything? Why not use just Amarillo, and compliment it with some orange zest?
Ahtanum has some heavy orange notes, but is also a bit earthy/resiny.
Zythos has tangerine notes.
Good luck!
Another vote for Ahtanum. Orange is also paired excellently with Mosaic hops. Ahtanum + Mosaic = heaven

I haven't used Amarillo a lot. I was worried about it being a little too soft or one dimensional. I feel that way about mosaic. I like it as a hop but for me it's almost too soft for American style Pale Ales. I get a lot of blueberry from Mosaic. However after this batch I will have to try a mosaic and amarillo mix.
I did a bit more reading and it looks like Amarillo could definitely stand on it's own. Also no Ahtanum locally. I can get Zythos though. I was worried about the combo hops walking over the Amarillo.

I feel Amarillo is tangerine and peach/apricot. I don't think you necessarily need to pair it with anything else, but Cascade or Centennial would be classic and keep it in the orange vein.
I was worried about the Cascade pushing the sharp kind of grapefruit flavor. but I suppose if I kept the cascade additions to a lower percentage it would work.

Simcoe.
Simcoe.
Simcoe.
My go-to for IPA is just Amarillo and Simcoe, in equal parts, 1.5 total ounces dry hopped, 1 oz for 20 minutes, and a neutral bittering hop like magnum or warrior: stone fruit and passion fruit with a hint of pine.
Simcoe is the ultimate grapefruit. I love it, a great pair with Amarillo, but not what the OP is looking for.

I agree. I usually get grapefruit from Simcoe. I wonder if hops/malt with a spicy side push citrus hops to be grapefruit. I did a Nelson Sauvign/Motueka/Pacific Gem Rye IPA that with the Pacific Gem for bittering.
It was awesome but I felt like it was a grapefruit bomb. I think the grapefruit was pushed by the rye and pacific gem in my very inexpert opinion. I've also used centennial and chinook in an amber ale and got grapefruit too.

I've not noticed grapefruit with simcoe + amarillo, but I will look for it next time I brew this. Like I said, I mostly get stone fruit/passion fruit and hints of pine.

What about Simcoe as bittering or FWH and Amarillo as late/flameout additions?

I've also seen some posts with Sorachi Ace and Amarillo which might be a good combo too.

I'll have to also check how much Amarillo I have and see if I can use it all on it's own.

Back