American IPA Amarillo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammy71

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
SA-05
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Wonderful drinking and dangerous
This is an IPA I make that my friends have named "The Mind Eraser". I, on the other hand, am boring....and it's label on the keg just says Amarillo IPA. This is one of my standard beers that is always on tap. This is a sleeper. It does not taste like a beer that is over 9%ABV and BMC drinkers will find it very dangerous. :D Darn...

I do 11 gallon batches and put 10 in the fermenter(s). Recipe is for an efficiency of 75%.

27.5# 2 row
2# Pilsner
2 packages of SA-05 per 5 gallons

Mash @ 149F for 90 minutes. This ensures a dry beer

That's it for the grain bill. I've toyed with the ratio of 2 row to pilsner with as much as 50% of each. Not much difference but, the this is the original and the one I make the most.

Hops are all Amarillo 8.5%AA

60 Min. 2.8oz
30 Min. 1.5oz
10 Min. 1.9oz
5 Min. 1.9oz
0 Min. 1.9oz

I leave in the primary for three weeks with the first week temperature controlled for 66F
I usually don't secondary my beers, but with all the hop material I find it a necessity for this one. So, after three weeks I will transfer to a secondary and dryhop for a week. Then to the keg. :tank:

Dryhop 2oz per 5 gallons

amarillo.jpg

What about your water profile for this brew? Possible to post that as well?

cheers,

What about your water profile for this brew? Possible to post that as well?

cheers,

Charcoal filter. Seriously.....that's it. I'm on great tasting well water from a well 375 foot deep. Never bothered to have my water checked. So, sorry. Don't have any other info. :mug::tank:

Have you brewed this with straight 2row?
Just wonder what the pils brings to the table.
Seems like a small percentage of the grain bill to have much impact.
Not trying to critique your recipe at all, so I hope I'm not coming of too snarky. Just curious since you've brewed this multiple times. Thanks.

Have you brewed this with straight 2row?
Just wonder what the pils brings to the table.
Seems like a small percentage of the grain bill to have much impact.
Not trying to critique your recipe at all, so I hope I'm not coming of too snarky. Just curious since you've brewed this multiple times. Thanks.

I was kind of curious to this too. Would it really be much different than brewing it as a straight 2row/Amarillo SMaSH?

To be honest....I can't really say. My brain says nothing....but my heart says it does. I'm a big fan of "if it's not broken....don't fix it". I made the original recipe with what I had in my bins. If I was surfing the web, I'd probably not bother with the pilsner. But, because its what I did with the first brew....I stick with it.

Back