AM drinking...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seefresh said:
I'm an internet developer and I work from my living room, its not normal, but maybe once or twice a week I'll have a beer while working, maybe once a month I'll have two. I mean, it helps me not get so tense writing lines and lines of ridiculous code.

Not that I always did this in the morning, but when I was a student in Oxford UK and I had a vast amount of pressure put on me to write two 2,000 word research essays a week, I found that one of the few things that was guaranteed to get me past writer's block was a good pint or two.

Fishing, got to have some beers. South Alabama Largemouth Bass fishing is what I'm talking about. Wifebeaters(its a name for an American redneck shirt in case you didn't know), mosquitos, stinkbait and budweiser..... that's how you fish in Alabama.

The not so cool thing is when you are in the bar at 8am (after the night shift) and you see the guys who work days that go there for the morning shot to get their day going.

about a year ago I went to the local dive bar at around 10:30-11:00am on a friday(pre-gaming before a golfing bachelor party) and there were a few guys already plastered. I asked the bartender what the deal was and she said they had been there for a couple hours and were 3rd shift workers starting their weekends.

Point being, beer is good after a long day(or night) of working, no matter what the time....

Rule of thumb is after noon is A-OK!

New rule of thumb.

Put one in your butt.

And the other in your mouth.

And shut the fudd up about when I can drink.

I work ALL 3 shifts, I have beer when I have time to enjoy it.:mug:

bring out your dead...bonk
NotDeadYet.jpg
I'm not dead yet.

p.s. I love zombies

i get off from work at the local hospital around 11 pm. i am in bed by 1pm. in that 2 hour time frame i drink my brew. i love this time. i love science and chemistry and creativity. i love to brew period.

then about around 6 am i take a piss and lay in bed.

then at 9 am i say it's that time dude and go run 4-6 miles.

isn't life AWESOME!!!

this is true.

Well, you (all of us I suppose) really have two choices:

You can drink when you wake up, go to work, and quite possibly lose your job.

Or you can drink when you come home, after working, and relax.

Notice: Drinking on the weekends only is NOT a choice. What the hell kinda life is that?

One of my summer jobs while in college was working in a glass tempering plant. We worked 7pm to 7am, and the bar closest to the plant was packed full and 7:30 in the morning. Time means nothing. If its after your work and it helps you relax and go to sleep, have one or two.

As many others have already stated, for me it is about what responsibilities you have after said beer(s). If you can have 1 or 2 and still handle those responsibilities then go for it...if you have nothing to tend to then knock yourself out and drink til your hearts content (although I would suggest you still keep in mind health concerns associated with habitually over drinking).

As far as time of day I see it having no bearing on the situation whatsoever. I like coffee, but honestly I am one of those guys that prefer a cold soda (if beer is not available) over a hot beverage in the morning with breakfast. Also, I tend to enjoy lunch/dinner food over traditional breakfast food in the morning. When the fellas would hit a diner in the AM after a night of partying, I would be the one ordering a cheesesteak or a big ole juicy burger and fries with a soda....is there anything wrong with eating those foods for breakfast?....who says you have to have eggs, bacon, or flapjacks? Likewise, who says you have to wait for a specific time to enjoy a brew? Regardless of your schedule or shift, I say have a drink whenever you want to have a drink and (as others have also stated) as long as it is not negatively affecting your life then sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Drinking is by responsibility, not by the clock. If your day's responsibilities are done or can be done while you have a little buzz on, by all means have a home brew. After all, it's 5 o'clock somewhere.

I work nights, too, and get home about 7 am. First thing I do Friday mornings is pour a beer. The wife and kids definitely thought it was weird at first. Me drinking while they got ready for work/school. My wife said something about it, but when I explained that because of my schedule it was no different than her having a glass of wine at the end of her work day, she saw the logic.

The only problem with drinking at 8am is then climbing into your car and going to work. Drink on, and enjoy the relaxation you've worked so hard to deserve!

Y'all need to find a job with normal hours. :) I do agree it isn't fishing w/o a cool for the fish and one for the beer. Launch the boat, clear the jetty and crack 'em if you got 'em.

you are an adult (im assuming) you can have a beer whenever you want. Tell your lady to clam it.

Point being, beer is good after a long day(or night) of working, no matter what the time....

yep. I used to get funny looks buying beer at 7am when I got off the night shift, but I always figured it was the equivalent of 7pm.

enjoy your beer. and encourage the girlfriend to pull a few night shifts and see if she changes her mind about beer in the morning.

hey, it's 5:00 somwhere!
i used to work 3rd shift and did the same thing. once home from work, i'd open a beer. helped me with going to sleep after being up all night. when i got off at 6:00 a.m. friday morning, i'd occasionally went to the bar down the street for breakfast and a beer. :mug:

When I was in Germany, my wife and I stayed at a Gasthous in Bavaria and would come downstairs to the bar to get fruhstuck (breakfast, sans umlouts), and there were always a couple guys drinking a .5 liter of beer in their business suits at 9am on a weekday. I think it's partially a cultural thing. We also saw several people get off their bikes, in full spandex, in the early afternoon, and walk into a biergarten for a hefe or two, then get back on the trail. In America, these types would be grabbing an iced tea or a Gatorade.

Come to think of it, there wasn't a time of day, nor a bar/brewery/biergarten in Germany that we didn't see normal looking people drinking some beer casually and reading a paper or conversing with fellow beer lovers.

TiberdamnImissdeutschlandBrew

Last Oktoberfest we had guests over. Breakfast was omelets served up with Founders breakfast stouts for the guys and mimosa for the ladies. (I would have offered the ladies some of the Founders but 1 hates beer and SWMBO has caffeine sensitivity issues.) We then called the cab to take us downtown for the events at 9am. The guys had a pint of Staghorn while we waited.

Camping, I will almost always drink beer with breakfast and then all day and into the night until I wake up my tent/sleeping arangment. My future father-in-law has a sign on the back of his RV that reads "It is 5 o'clock somewhere."

IMO If you want a beer have one, time of day, biological clock or just plain logic be damned!

:tank:

this time of year I plow snow at night. anyone here that lives between cleveland and buffalo knows the drill. I see nothing wrong with having a couple in the morning before I go to sleep

12 hour rotating shift worker here. Best arrangement I've had is carpooling before the open container laws in TX. I drove on days because I couldn't have a couple on the way home and then get anything done. My carpooling partner can't drink in the am, so he drove on nights. We both could have a couple on the way home when it best suited us.

I worked 3rd shift already, getting off at 7 am and going to the bar to have a brew. I see nothing wrong with it; it is your 'evening', if you will. Plus, after a good days (nights) work, the brew goes down very well.

Tell SWMBO that it's 5pm somewhere.

As another third shift worker (10pm-6am), I also drink in the mornings. If I didn't, I'd never get to drink. The cashiers at the local store even know I work third because I am often in there buying a six pack at 8am.

I have a family friend who is a German sausage maker, born and raised in the Old Country. His idea of breakfast is a large soft German pretzel and a beer. For breakfast. Every day. And he's getting up and going to work!

We fish offshore in the Gulf Stream about 5-8 times a year. Get up about 3-4 am, on the boat and leaving port around 4-5 am, when we get out to the Stream it's sunrise and many in our crew pop open a cold one to celebrate the start to our fishing day. That is about the only time I can drink beer in the am. However, this year I was invited to several tail gates for noon games. I went to Lowes food at 8:30 am and got a double chocolate stout that was an awesome way to start the day. With that said, I rarely draw my first beer on the weekends before 2 pm. That may be noon today since I'm going to start brewing at 10 am.

If I worked the overnight shift, I'd definitely have a couple before jumping into the bed. You got to unwind a bit after work and it does not matter the position of the sun.

Drinking in the AM is a sure way to ruin the rest of my day. I can't do it. But I envy you guys with a more robust constitution than mine.

Regarding the OP, that's just drinking after work. That's what drinking was invented for!

I don't drink much in the morning, except when we are snowed in and I just finished shoveling. In this case, you bet I'm drinking a stout with my feet propped next to the fire, even if it's 9 AM.

So the SWMBO thinks that just because it's 0800 I'm an alcoholic (the conversation was at 0800...I'm still drinking). Ha! Two points: One, I worked last night, so it's like 2000 to me. Two, my beer tastes great and is drinkable at any time! :rockin:

The other morning I woke up at 0330 and had a beer...I stayed up though. Those of us on the night shift are a bit different...I'll come home and want tacos for breakfast...or is it supper?

you can't say you've been drinking all day unless you start in the morning.

Ok so I think we have it down. Drink responsibly, when you dont have responsabilities to fulfill before you can soberly, and the clock is irrelavant.

It also seems to me the stigma is purely a cultural thing. It's 5 O clock somewhere, AND at different times for different people.

"Different strokes for different folks"

third shifter.. bars are open at 6am here.. stack o' cakes and a pint!

On my weekend I still drink in the morning when I wake up, but it's even better because then I can continue without having to go to sleep (on purpose, anyway).

Frown upon A.M. drinking? Stfu and gtfo, your wife is calling.

I have to agree with my fellow cheesehead. Up here beer is just another food so saying you can't drink before noon is like saying you can't have steak for breakfast. I'm not getting pissed up early but if I'm thirsty I'll drink what I like regardless of the time of day.

Do what makes you happy as long as it doesnt harm anybody (including yourself), harming a relationship counts as harming yourself. All you can do is try to get her to understand, there have been worse things in the world.

No problem at all. I think those who do have a prob with it are the ones with alcahol issues. You just got off work! You didn't just get out of bed and start your day by drinking! And that's just fine on occasion too. I bartend and have frequently had a beer or something after getting home at 3am. Used to work night shift in a warehouse and when we had mandatory overtime I would get home near sunrise. I really enjoyed coming home to sit in a lawnchair to watch the sun come up and have a beer. Then I went to bed, relaxed.

I worked midnights for years.. Mornings are our evenings. My ex always said the same thing.. Notice I said Ex :)

I don't work night shift, but in bavaria, a bavarian breakfast is a half liter of Weissbier, a pretzel and two Wesswurst. Yum

Latest posts

Back