almost full boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogref

Reaction score
I've read a enough threads here to get the impression that a full boil is better than a partial boil. I don't think I can do a full boil because I have a glass top electric stove and even if I could I'd be worried about boil-overs in my brewpot. So far on my first two batches I've followed the instructions and boiled 2 gallons of water then added it to 3 gallons cold water in the fermenter.

My question: Is there any benefit to boiling say 3 or 4 gallons or would the difference be negligible?

Boil as full as you possibly can, I started with just 2 gallons but now do a 4 gallon boil. I don't have a pot big enough to do full boils just yet, but I think boiling as much as possible helps. I've noticed a difference.

Bigger boils will increase hop utilization, and reduce carmelization of extracts. If you go bigger, you will probably need to adjust your hop schedule. And you'll probably need a chiller, if you don't already have one.

Bigger boils will increase hop utilization, and reduce carmelization of extracts. If you go bigger, you will probably need to adjust your hop schedule. And you'll probably need a chiller, if you don't already have one.

What about splitting the boil (2.5 gal and 2.5 gal). Would hop scheduling need adjusting?

I did a full boil on my first, I used clean ice to cool it and put it in a bath, it cooled it pretty well, but I made a wort chiller for my 2nd. asked about hops schedules at my LHBS they said not to worry, I had a couple beers last night out of my first batch, they were good, I think a couple more weeks and they will be even better. The wort chiller is awsome cooled from 210 to 68 degrees in 20minutes.
Would your stove be able to boil 5gal on your stove? It takes about 20-30 minutes on my turkey fryer.

+1 on doing as large a boil as is practical and safe for your equipment. If you are thinking of upgrading your pot or anything, then try and figure out what you think your future plans would be if you intend to expand your hobby, then buy according to your evil master plan rather than buying stuff willy nilly. :)

Mogref,

A 'dern near' full boil
Gentlemen,

I have been brewing extracts for 15-16 years,
{I can't remember}
And during that time I have gone from brewing L.M.E. & D.M.E
{base grains} for alcohol production.
To quantity, {seeing how much ale I can brew in one winter.}
{It was 2,000, 12oz ales}
And now, there isn't any place left to go but quality.
I have been, the last year or so, steeping in speciality grains.
'Octoberfest, Vienna, Crystal Bisquet, Red ale, & Brown ale'.

About a month ago I was thinking...
I spend a lot of time stiring D.M.E. in order to disolve it.
Also much time cooling down a brew pot in order to pitch my yeast.
In fact it seems 'stirring' and 'waiting' is where my brewing time goes.
What would be nessessary in order to brew 10 gallons at once?
I thought about it and another brew pot was about all I would need.

I could stand there and 'stir' the D.M.E in two brew pots,
and 'cool down' two brew pots equally as easily as one.
Hmmmm...
I was impressed with myself.
The solution was so simple!
So I came up with another brew pot.

Then the other day I was reading here and old 'Laughing Gnome'
was praising a full boil and so I tried a 'fuller boil',
ie. 4 gallons, in two brew pots and it tasted good.
And in fact tasted so good,
I drank 5 gallons of it with out even bottling it!

Today I was brewing another batch and I was amazed
at how fast the D.M.E. melts in 4 gallons of water as opposed to just 2.5!
Lots faster!
A split boil is 'Dern near' as good as a 'full boil'
for those of you who are still brewing on a stovetop.
Its better than a 'one brew pot boil'!
A '4 gallon two brew pot' boil
or... a 'Dern near' full boil.
It is so fast I will stick with brewing one batch faster
rather than two at once.
Two brew pots cool much faster than one 'biggun' too.
A 'dern near' full boil, sure enough,
is faster and tastes better.
I have learned something!
Is that cool or what?

JacktheKnife
{Need a Knife?}

http://jacksknifeshop.tripod.com/

Well, I'm sufficiently convinced that I need to start doing full boils as soon as possible. However, times are tough and SWMBO has me on a budget. Ideally I would buy a larger brewpot, a propane burner, and a wort chiller but right now I'm going to try and improvise. I have a 5.5-gallon brewpot and what looks to be a 1.5 gallon stewpot. I'm wondering if it's worth putting 4 gallons in one and 1 gallon in the other (or 3 and 1 plus 1 gal cold water). I guess the grand experiment would be if I could even get 4 gallons to boil on my glass top stove. As it is, 2.5 gallons doesn't really come up to a 'rolling boil' without putting the lid on, and I've read here that your boil needs to be uncovered as much as possible because there are some things that need to be boiled out.

Now about adjusting the hop schedule, what would I need to do if I'm doing larger (but not quite full) boils?

i dont think your going to boil 4 gals on your cooktop.

at least i cant on mine. i have a glass top stove and it boiled 3 gal of water but once everything was added it wouldnt roll at all

jonp beat me to it - I doubt you will get 4 gallons to boil on a stove. I can barely get 2.5 to boil on our gas range.

If you are going to try 4 gallons do a test run a few days before brewday.

The guy at the brew shop told me it only costs 5 dollars more of hops to only boil 2 gallons at a time but says at this stage it is not worth it.

Back