All purpose flour, or whole wheat flour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either should work. If using whole wheat, make sure it isn't old and stale. The bran or germ content tend to become rancid over time.

If you use a lot, add enough rice hulls so it doesn't plug up your mash.

Thanks. I remembered the macaroni after I'd started this thread, then edited it in. That worked so well it's probably what I will do next time. But I wondered if the bran and germ in flaked wheat was an important part of the flavor (hence whole wheat flour)

That beer was 33% 2-row, 33% wheat malt, and 33% macaroni. The beer sucked because I used way too much lactic acid and orange peel. But it had potential :D

Read of it, still can't imagine using flour in a brew. "Mit Hefe" doesn't mean "with flour", after all :)
Different strokes, I reckon...

Cheers!

I honestly was not aware this was a thing.

Read of it, still can't imagine using flour in a brew. "Mit Hefe" doesn't mean "with flour", after all :)
Different strokes, I reckon...

Cheers!

I’m glad you guys said it. I’m sitting here baffled as to why one would put flour or pasta in their beer, but whatever floats your boat. Actually I have heard of adding flour to NEIPAs to get that nasty haze, maybe that’s what the OP is after.

I’m glad you guys said it. I’m sitting here baffled as to why one would put flour or pasta in their beer, but whatever floats your boat. Actually I have heard of adding flour to NEIPAs to get that nasty haze, maybe that’s what the OP is after.

Nope, unmalted wheat (and a lot of it) is the correct adjunct for witbier.

Back