all grain to extract conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb3218

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a little over a year now and have only done extract brewing. I would like to know how to convert form all grain to extract. For instance, if a recipe calls for 10 lbs. of grain for mashing, what is the amount of extract is equal to that. I would like to do all grain some day but now I don't have the space or equipment. Some of the recipes fir all grain sound great and I would like to try them doing extract.

I am kind of in the same boat as you. I know there are a few links that show the actual conversion but I bought a license to BeerSmith and it does the conversion easily. The issue I have, I find a great looking all-grain recipe but it calls for certain grains to be used that an extract can't replace the flavor of. ie. vienna malt - beersmith says use pale extract

cant you throw vienna malt into your steeping grains???
Absolutely! It then becomes a mini-mash, which is just a small step up from "extract + steeping grains". It will open up a world of possibilities. Go for it!

In general, 1 pound of two-row is equal to .75 pounds of pale LME, and .6 pound of light DME.

You keep all the steeping grains the same, and just use LME or DME for the two-row (base grain).

You can use Munich malt or Vienna malt as well, but it must be mashed. Mashing is just like steeping, except you hold the steep at a prescribed temperature for a prescribed amount of time.

Back