all grain kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvinit

Reaction score
Switching to all grain and looking to get a couple of brew under my belt,where is a good place to get all grain kits, I am a newbie and dont really know anything about recipe's yet

While i'm sure there are a ton of options, MoreBeer gives you the option to having your grains milled at home or have morebeer do it for you.

Enjoy!

Northern Brewer offers crushed or unmilled grain as well, and they have a pretty good size selection to choose from

thanx,I usually buy everything from my local brewstore his prices are good and I would rather patronize the loal guy,but he only carries brewers best kits and his grain selection is very limited

There are tons of recipes online also. Start at the AHA site, pick a recipe for your favorite style, write down the ingredients or bookmark it to your phone, then go to the grain room at your LHBS and load up.

never tasted an all grain homebrew,can someone describe the difference in lme flavor compared to all grain ? does the all grain not have that carmel taste of the lme?

IMHO, you'll need a refined palate and experience tasting both to really tell a difference.

It's the same thing if you were trying to tell the difference between box brownies and those made from scratch. An experienced baker might know the difference but not always either.

never tasted an all grain homebrew,can someone describe the difference in lme flavor compared to all grain ? does the all grain not have that carmel taste of the lme?

A well made extract beer may be indistinguishable from an all grain beer. A poorly made all grain beer may be indistinguishable from a poorly made extract beer. The major differences are the control over the beer you get when you get to choose each grain instead of accepting what the extract has in it and the extra weight in you wallet when you find that by going all grain your beer costs much less.:rockin:

^^^ +1

These days your LME is very good (normally) and it would be pretty hard to tell any difference.

Now, making a light colored brew is easier with AG just cuz the LME is more amber.

Plenty of online stores if your LHBS does not have the grain you need.
Good luck on your first AG brew.:mug:

You say your local supplier has a limited selection, but IMHO your first attempt should probably be a fairly simple beer anyway. I'm willing to bet he has the basic malts you need for one. In fact, he probably has a forgiving recipe he considers appropriate for your first attempt. Go talk to him...

There's no real reason to use a kit IMHO if you have a local homebrew store. Just find a recipe you like (there are plenty on here) and make your shopping list.

I don't like the idea of kits simply because they are "one size fits all" since everyone uses different equipment and has different efficiency %s.

Northern Brewer offers crushed or unmilled grain as well, and they have a pretty good size selection to choose from

+1 ...and they offer a 10% military discount. I don't have a LHBS so do most of my business with NB.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back