All grain honey brown recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ssmif135

Reaction score
First off I want to say how great this forum is, I am so glad i found it.
Second, I have only been brewing for a couple of months, but I am ready to start an all grain lager. I found a reciped in "More Homebrew Favorites", but it calls for 4 lbs of Superbrau unhopped amber malt extract. Could anyone help me with a possible substitute for this ingredient or another recipe. I would really like to make it an all-grain beer. Thanks in advance.

uglygoat

Reaction score
you could use six pounds of pale malt/two row malt to get the fermentables and a little bit, maybe 8 oz of crystal malt to get the amber color instead of the malt extract the recipe calls for.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'd throw a pound or two of honey malt in that as well. I heard that lends some honey flavor without adding honey. I'd research it more, but that sounds like a good alternative.

Otherwise pale 2 row is the best bet to use as a base grain. Adjunct it with carapils for body, maybe a litle flaked wheat for head retention, and experiment with crystal 10-120L for color.....

OP
OP
S

ssmif135

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I will give it a shot.

I am a young brewer, so I am not really sure as to what you mean by a little carastan, a little flaked wheat, and a little crystal 10-120. Could you give me an estimate as to the quantity of each.

The reciped calls for 2 lbs of clover honey as well, will honey malt work better. If I put in the lb or two of honey malt instead, do i still put in 6 lbs of pale malt.

I see a lot of talk on here about using whole leaf hops instead of the pellets, what would it take to do this with whole hops instead of pellets.

Full Recipe:

1/2 lb carastan malt 36' L
1/4 c. roasted barley
4 lbs Superbrau unhopped amber malt extract
2 lb clover honey
1 oz Cascade hop pellets
1 oz Mt. Hood hop pellets
2 packets of paine's yeast