Ale yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFAJ Brew Guy

Reaction score
I am planning on making an oktoberfest ale. I do not really have a way as of yet to lager. I am planning on using the Oktoberfest/Marzen kit from AHS.

The question I have is which yeast do I go with? I know some people on the board have used Nottingham and US-05 for the dry yeast. I did some searching and didn't really find any one that had used liquid.

I was thinking of going with White Labs German Ale/Kolsch Ale WLP029. What do you guys think? Go with the dry or use the WLP029? Or do you have a recommendation on a different liquid strain?

Thanks in advance!

could try Wyeast 1007 German Ale. good flocculation. doesnt finish very dry and leaves nice sweet fuityness

Another option is the White Labs San Francisco Lager yeast. It ferments cleanly up to 65F. I like the Kolsch yeast, but it will give you some fruitiness that you may not want in a lager.

brewt00l said:
Can you control your fermentation temp?

Yes controlling them is not a problem. I have my ferment temps at 64 and it only varies by at most +/- 1 degree. The problem is getting it down into the lagering range. I am planning on building a ferment chiller at the end of the year, but for right now I am pretty much limited to ales.

Why do you ask? Do you have some super secret way of getting brews down to lagering temps? ;)

AFAJ Brew Guy said:
Yes controlling them is not a problem. I have my ferment temps at 64 and it only varies by at most +/- 1 degree. The problem is getting it down into the lagering range. I am planning on building a ferment chiller at the end of the year, but for right now I am pretty much limited to ales.

Why do you ask? Do you have some super secret way of getting brews down to lagering temps? ;)

I ask cause if you weren't able to, then I would roll a clean/neutral ale yeast like US05..otherwise since you can hit and keep it at 64 you have options incl the SF lager yeast already mentioned.

brewt00l said:
I ask cause if you weren't able to, then I would roll a clean/neutral ale yeast like US05..otherwise since you can hit and keep it at 64 you have options incl the SF lager yeast already mentioned.

Thanks, I must have skipped right to your post because I didnt even see that, way to much coffee this morning :)

Thanks to the both of you! I didn't even think to find a lager yeast that would ferment up to the temps that I am at. I think it has to do with thinking of a steam beer with lager yeast that high.

WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast
This yeast is used to produce the "California Common" style beer. A unique lager strain which has the ability to ferment up to 65 degrees while retaining lager characteristics. Can also be fermented down to 50 degrees for production of marzens, pilsners and other style lagers.
Attenuation: 65-70%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 58-65°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_strains.html

Back