Ale Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluBruShack

Reaction score
So for starters I am new. I only have 4 batches under my belt but i'm getting there. I was wondering if there was an ale yeast that offered both high attentuation as well as med-high flocculation? I just made a english ale with nottingham yeast which did great for attenuation but just had a ton of floaters as high as 1 gallon while transfering from primary.

Im looking to make Smashing Pumpkin Ale Extract Kit w/ Specialty Grains from northern brewer. It comes with the safale us-05 which is 73-77% atten and low to medium floc. Im wondering if there is something better that I can use or if i should do something different. I used a whirl floc tab last go round and it seemed to help but any input would be great. Thanks in advance

Most yeasts that have high flocculation also have low to medium attenuation. Why? Because if the yeast flocks, it's no longer in contact with the wort!

In this case I think patience and finings are the solution. Leave the beer as long as possible in the primary - 4 weeks is a fair bet. Pull a sample for gravity and other sampling; while you're waiting for your hydrometer to settle down, check the beer for turbidity. Then sample for taste/aroma. If the beer show big flocks or turbidity, consider racking to a settling tank and adding gelatin or other finings. Remember, different suspended solids will respond to different finings, so you may need to use several. You might also consider filtering.

Cheers,

Bob

Most yeasts that have high flocculation also have low to medium attenuation. Why? Because if the yeast flocks, it's no longer in contact with the wort!

In this case I think patience and finings are the solution. Leave the beer as long as possible in the primary - 4 weeks is a fair bet. Pull a sample for gravity and other sampling; while you're waiting for your hydrometer to settle down, check the beer for turbidity. Then sample for taste/aroma. If the beer show big flocks or turbidity, consider racking to a settling tank and adding gelatin or other finings. Remember, different suspended solids will respond to different finings, so you may need to use several. You might also consider filtering.

Cheers,

Bob
Thanks for the great replys guys :)
Bob,
Patience is still one of the major things I am working on. Your explaination was great that makes much more sense non. Ive got some gelatin i will give a try next time. Ive have also seen that cooling before racking has been noted to help. Just not sure if that is a great idea with ales(dont see why not). Also is 4 weeks in primary about average for ales? Again I appologize for all the questions im still new and want my brews to keep getting better and better.
Thanks again
B

Seven,
That WLP007 sounds perfect. Thanks so much. Im going to try to give it a go in my next batch!
B

I use so-5 all the time, and long primary my beers and they are very very clear. I've used notty and just about every ale yeast to the same effect.

Patience is the answer to clear beer.

This is my yeastcake for my Sri Lankin Stout that sat in primary for 5 weeks. Us-04 yeast IIRC.

Notice how tight the yeast cake is? None of that got racked over to my bottling bucket. And the beer is extremely clear.

150874_473504884066_620469066_5740814_2866677_n.jpg

That little bit of beer to the right is all of the 5 gallons that DIDN'T get vaccumed off the surface of the tight trub. Note how clear it is, there's little if any floaties in there.

When I put 5 gallons in my fermenter, I tend to get 5 gallons into bottles. The cake itself is like cement, it's about an inch thick and very, very dense, you can't just tilt your bucket and have it fall out. I had to use water pressure to get it to come out.

156676_473504924066_620469066_5740815_1970477_n.jpg

This is the last little bit of the same beer in the bottling bucket, this is the only sediment that made it though and that was done on purpose, when I rack I always make sure to rub the autosiphon across the bottom of the primary to make sure there's plenty of yeast in suspension to carb the beer, but my bottles are all crystal clear and have little sediment in them.

Half the time I forget to use moss, and you can't tell the difference in clarity.

I get the barest hint of sediment in my bottles....just enough for the yeast to have done the job of carbonating the beer.

I use quite a bit of 05 and it will generally drop pretty clear, especially if you can cold crash it. So, I wouldn't write it off.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want a high attenuating yeast for a pumpkin ale? Usually most recipes try to keep them on the sweeter side anyway.

I used US-05 for my pumpkin ale, and without even going to secondary it dropped clear easily. There was a lot of pumpkin trub, but my beer is clear.

Back