Airlock problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpume

Reaction score
Good day brewers ,am having a problem with my airlock ,as its the 6th day of my fermentation everything was going well until the temp dropped to 12°c today in the morning .so I took my fermenter outside were there is direct sunshine and it picked up to 16°c but am facing a problem were by the airlock is bulbing in different direction (bulbing inside to the fermenter instead of bulbing out ),so I opened the fermenter clippers but nothing has changed. what could I have done wrong? I used us05 yeast .please help

Good day brewers ,am having a problem with my airlock ,as its the 6th day of my fermentation everything was going well until the temp dropped to 12°c today in the morning .so I took my fermenter outside were there is direct sunshine and it picked up to 16°c but am facing a problem were by the airlock is bulbing in different direction (bulbing inside to the fermenter instead of bulbing out ),so I opened the fermenter clippers but nothing has changed. what could I have done wrong? I used us05 yeast .please help

Hello.

What does your set up look like? Is the fermenter made of metal? What was your temp while you were fermenting the first six days? What is the ideal temp for your yeast? What is in your airlock?
So your fermenter got cold at 12C (54F) then you set it in the sun where the outside temp is 16 (60F) but how warm did the sun make the actual fermenter? And you're saying the bubbles were going into the FV?
At six days, fermentation had a good chance of being complete or nearly so.
Maybe I'm missing something but I think more info is needed.

+1. But why, if OP was heating up the fermenter in the sun, did that happen? Delayed reaction and fermenter still actually cooling?
And OP, I checked the fermentation range on the package and it says you be in range down to 15C.

Yes its metal 25 liters ,the temp was 22°c and it started dropping as it was getting cold, the yeast temp is 16to25 ....inside the airlock is sanitized water (no rinse)...when I took it outside the temp picked up to 16°c than it started bulbing backwards

After i aerated the worth and closed the fermenter it went back to normal ,now its bulbing after evry 2 to 3 min

Back