airlock overflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T8rAleKing

Reaction score
My major concern is that with the airlock on bucket, the yeast has been very active and actually overflowing the airlock. Just put in primary on Saturday, Feb 3rd, first time homebrew with 5 gallons, I am used to Mr Beer fermenter. Not heavily but splatters on the lid…is this of major concern? As the airlock is full of the overflow wort and not clear water anymore, just full of fermenting wort. I am working the kinks out to this new process to me and want to grow and become better at this. Do I clean out the airlock and put fresh water in it or go with what it is in there? The activity has slowed down now but was extremely active all evening yesterday.
Thanks in advance and appreciate this forum.

T8r Ale King

I'm very new at this so by all means do not take my advise at the answer to the problem but check it out online and in the forum.

I've seen people put a "over flow" hose where the hole for your airlock goes. Then the hose drops into a bucket that has satinized water in it. Just enough so that the water covers the end of the hose so that no bacteria can go into your wort.

when the overflow starts it will go into the hose and then into the overflow bucket.

You've basically got it,but we call it a "blow off". It blows off all that extra co2,& some krausen with it if it's really vigorous. I use a half gallon plastic vodka jug 1/3 full of water with a splash of starsan.

Used to use sanitizer with my blow offs, now I just use tap water (I sanitize the blow off tube of course). Blow offs keep the dierection of flow steady throughout so nothing comes back in, and when things start to slow down I slap on a sanitized air lock.

when you start to get overflow you absolutely MUST switch to a blow off ASAP. if your airlock becomes clogged with Krausen, not only is it a pain to clean, but it wont vent the CO2 and could literally blow the top off creating a monster beer mess, always have a blow off handy for a fast swap, make sure its clean and sanitized, and keep a real close watch on the 1st 12-18 hours of fermentation.

Thanks for the helpful advice, I hope I caught this in time as the bubbling has really settled down to almost nothing right now. Am I just in holding pattern now and hope & pray it turns out okay?

T8r Ale King

As long as the airlock isn't blocked you should be fine. If it's still bubbling it sounds like it's alright.

What kind of beer are you brewing?

Whenever I check my fermenter I gently push down on the lid to verify it passes a bubble and is not blocked. Blockages sometimes occur at the tip of the airlock which is underneath the lid.

Thanks and yes it is still bubbling into my overflow jug, air bubbles only no wort...I am brewing a Slow Down Brown Ale (Newcastle Brown clone) in the primary with a lb. of brown sugar added for extra kick :mug:

If the krausen isnt overflowing anymore you can sanitize your airlock and replace it. I personally use vodka as its sterile. You're fine, the aggressive fermentation usually will prevent contaminants from getting at your wort anyhow

airlock re-installed, beer ready for more primary-time...THANKS for all your assistance. Emergency aborted.:ban:

Back