airlock liquid alternative?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dusty1025

Reaction score
I'm going to bulk age an apfelwein for 9-12 months with an airlock. I use cheap vodka during fermentation, but i was thinking about using mineral oil for bulk aging so i don't end up with a dry airlock and 5 gallons of vinegar.

anyone ever done this? any thoughts?

I wouldn't use anything that you wouldn't want getting into the aging apfelwein... Not sure how mineral oil tastes (never tried it, I only use it on my wood cutting boards, and never use those boards until several hours later)... Also not sure if having any mineral oil in the brew would produce any 'effects' such as laxative... :eek:

At the rate that water seems to evaporate through the tiny holes in an airlock, I would think that as long as you check on it every week, or three, you should be fine.

As an alternative, you could use a corny keg to age in. I would just make sure that all fermentation is completed, or filter out any remaining yeasties. You'll need to either carbonate with CO2 later, or use some yeast in the priming solution (there's online info for doing that) when you're ready...

I have an old ale that I put into a corny on Friday, with some oak chips, that I'm thinking of letting bulk age for 1-2 months once the oak comes out (used a cheese cloth bag, that I made, to hold the chips so that they'll be easy to remove). I'm not 100% sure if I'll use an airlock in the keg, or if I'll just seal it back up and let it age like that.

Actually, if you age for 9-12 months, chances are any yeast left in the brew will be beyond dormant (probably dead or so far asleep that you won't be able to carbonate with them in a decent time frame). If you seal up the corny properly, you might have a hint of carbonation when it comes time to think about drinking it.

The more I think about it, the better I like the idea of aging inside corny's...

Since you're in PA, I don't think you need to worry about the water evaporating too fast...

i thought mineral oil may be a little insurance against my horrible memory, and i'd venture a guess that the humidity of a Pennsylvania January will rival any desert (much like Michigan I'm sure)

i thought mineral oil may be a little insurance against my horrible memory, and i'd venture a guess that the humidity of a Pennsylvania January will rival any desert (much like Michigan I'm sure)

I'm in MA, in a place with forced hot air for heat, and the water inside the airlocks on my brews doesn't evaporate that fast (still good after 3-4 weeks)... If you're fearing forgetting about checking on the airlock, then don't use one at all. Go with the corny aging vessel and you should be 100% kosher... Since they can withstand 130PSI, chances of anything bad happen is virtually nil.

These:

http://www.beer-wine.com/products/silicone-stoppers-carboys

Fermenting/Ventilating Bung - Fits 3, 5, 6, and 6.5 gallon glass carboys and acts as both a stopper and an airlock. Its five vents and pliable seal allow CO2 to escape but prevents entry of oxygen and airborne contaiminants. No more suckback of liquid from the airlock; great for extended fermentations where CO2 production is slight.

I love my Better Bottle dry air lock. No liquids to worry about, works awesome with their better bottle universal closure. I'm so glad I went with the 6 gallon ported Better Bottle for my first 5 gallon fermenter. Super light, easy to clean, unbreakable. Yes, the accessories are a bit more pricey than I wish they were (the airlock was about 12 bucks and the closure was more than that). However, everything is engineered with precision and feels like quality stuff.

Had a Flanders Brown aging in the basement for a little over a year. Vodka in an "S" type airlock. Only had to add to it once during that period.

These:

http://www.beer-wine.com/products/silicone-stoppers-carboys

Fermenting/Ventilating Bung - Fits 3, 5, 6, and 6.5 gallon glass carboys and acts as both a stopper and an airlock. Its five vents and pliable seal allow CO2 to escape but prevents entry of oxygen and airborne contaiminants. No more suckback of liquid from the airlock; great for extended fermentations where CO2 production is slight.

I'm gonna go with one of those, its cheaper than a bottle of mineral oil. Thanks for the link!
Cheers, Dusty

Back