Airlock Activity means fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottlebomber

Reaction score
Actually it doesn't. Because as we speak I have a sanitzed EMPTY carboy sitting there waiting for wort, and the airlock is bubbling about every 20 seconds. Whammy! :)

Did you rinse it in hot water and now it's cooling down?

It would have to be just the opposite to bubble. If it were rinsed with hot water, the heat inside would cool down and contract, causing a negative pressure, thus suckback. If it were rinsed with cold water, then the cooler temperature inside would heat up and expand, causing a positive pressure, and bubble the airlock.

beninan said:
It would have to be just the opposite to bubble. If it were rinsed with hot water, the heat inside would cool down and contract, causing a negative pressure, thus suckback. If it were rinsed with cold water, then the cooler temperature inside would heat up and expand, causing a positive pressure, and bubble the airlock.

This what's probably happened. The fresh starsan was cold, but now that its sitting in the warm garage the air inside is expanding. I think the same this could probably happen if there was liquid in it as well. I was just being a wise@ss because im always bearing people talking about how their beer is fermenting based on the airlock, even counting the BPM (blurps per minute) and using this as some kind of guage.

It could also be just changes in atmospheric pressure as the day is going by.

I'm aware that you were being sarcastic with this thread, hence my post about sniffing farts.:mug:

beninan said:
I'm aware that you were being sarcastic with this thread, hence my post about sniffing farts.:mug:

Yeah but I got really excited after you said that, and so I gave it a whiff... what a disappointment :( :mug:

If "disappointment"="smells like nothing", then at least you can assume that if there is anything inside the carboy releasing some sort of pressure, it doesn't smell. Maybe its the opposite of a "silent but deadly" fart? Maybe it's called "noisy but nothing"?

Back