Airlock Activity and Sucking Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msu09

Reaction score
I finally made the switch to AG (using BIAB) and made my first batch on Saturday. I had almost 85% efficiency and am extremely happy with the numbers that I got. Im using this American Wheat recipe using Wyeast 2565. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/am...e-best-show-2011-hbt-bjcp-competition-238940/

I didn't make a starter based upon the recipe and am concerned about it's fermentation. I'm using an Ale Pale for the first time and haven't seen any co2 bubbles in my 3 piece air lock (36 hrs). It's also sucking my iodine/water solution back into the pale. I pitched the yeast at 70 degrees and have kept the temperature about 62-64 degrees. Any ideas? Am I just being overly concerned?

Dropping temp in the fermentor will create a vacuum that "sucks" the airlock. Pop the airlock off for a second if your temps are stable now. You may not see much activity from the bucket, some just don't seal well....is there any krausen??

Check the yeast recommended temp range, I think you may be a tad low....try bumping up to 67-68F

I was affraid to pop it off... I just did though.

No krausen at all. Any ideas?

I'm going to try that and see. Any idea how long I should wait before I get worried?

It could just be that the co2 is escaping somewhere else,& the ferment temp is low enough where what little krausen it may've had is gone. Did you pitch at a temp within the yeasts' range?

Take a reading. Warm it up and stir if the gravity is unchanged from OG.

The suckback is from the temp drop. Either switch to an S style airlock, or just use a blow-off tube to start with.

I also use vodka just in case...

I pitched the yeast at 70 degrees. It may have been a degree or two colder at the point of actually pitching it. That should be within it's range.

After raising the temp a bit it has started to bubble through the airlock (which I dumped and filled with good vodka... the fiance was not too happy to say the least).

It seems really weird... maybe a bit of oxygen when I opened it helped kick start it? Maybe it was the higher temp? This seems odd though because this is a yeast that likes it colder.

Latest posts

Back