Aging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RNBEERGUY

Reaction score
is it better to age in a secondary or age beer after bottle/kegging? If in secondary how long before I need to pitch new yeast ?

Do all my aging in bottle/keg. Everything i brew doesnt need extended aging though. What type of beer are you brewing?

When you move your beer to secondary you open up the possibility for oxidation and infection. Any possible improvement is negated in my opinion. Age the beer in bottles. No worries about whether you need to add more yeast that way.

I mostly agree with them, but if you make a really high gravity beer or maybe a lager, IMHO it could benefit from a little time in secondary. Or if you want to add some fruit or other flavorings, you might want to give it some time in secondary.

If you are adding new yeast, I would suggest at bottling.

For big beers, if you pitch a sufficient yeast starter and (not or) aerate sufficiently, and keep the temperature in the yeasts' comfort zone, maybe a little warmer after krausen finishes, and the final gravity stabilizes around where your brewing software said it would, then you'd probably be fine letting it age in the bottle or keg.

Back