AG Double Chocolate Stout Still Bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wells11

Reaction score
My Double chocolate is still showing signs of fermenting, bubble in airlock about every minute and a half, its been 13 days in secoundary. Is it ok to bottle or should I wait till there are no bubbles?

The only way to tell if fermentation is done is by taking a gravity reading. Take one reading, wait a couple days, take another. To be safe, it's a good idea to take a third. If the gravity stays the same, fermentation is done. Bubble activity does not mean fermentation is still happening.

Why would bottle before taking a reading anyway? How would you know whether you had a stuck fermentation or not?

This is true, I should treat it just like making wine. I have been making kits and always went by there schedule. I have only done a couple AG brews.

Thanks good info.

No problem! I've always been stumped why these kits give such bad instructions. I think most of them say to ferment based on number of days, not gravity readings. This doesn't take into consideration the fact that different environments produce different fermentation experiences, and the fact that yeast need to clean up after themselves once fermentation is complete.

I've done two AG first one my temps were off, 2nd one much better and my efficiency was better. The recepie had a 1.071 OG and I got a 1.080 last I checked I was at 7.8% Alc. The only difference was I added 8oz. of brown sugar at boil but didn't think it would increase OG that much so I'm hoping my equipment is just that effieciant.

Back