AG Cali Common Inspired with Nugget

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NothingRhymesWithCurtiss

Reaction score
While visiting San Francisco a month ago, I tried Anchor Steam and really enjoyed it. For me it was the mouthfeel, malt backbone, and session-ability. While I know California Commons are typically 100% Northern Brewer hops, the hops, while good, didn't do much for me. That said, I've put together the recipe below using 100% Nugget hops.

5 Gallons
OG Est 1.053
FG Est 1.013
39 IBUS

● 8lb 2 Row
● 0.75lb Crystal 40l
● 0.50lb Victory
● 0.50lb Light Munich 8l
Mash @ 154° F

● 0.5oz Nugget (12aa) @ 60
● 0.5oz Nugget (12aa) @ 15
● 1oz Nugget (12aa) @ 0 - 15 minute steep

Whirlfloc @ 15 minutes
Wyeast 2112 @ 61° F for 10 Days
Bottle condition 4 weeks @ 65° F

I'm aware that this is outside BJCP style guidelines since I'm using Nugget instead of Northern Brewer. My concerns were with the quantities of Crystal, Munich, and Victory, as I've never brewed this style before. Does the grain bill seem "balanced"? I've seen a few Cali Common recipes that are just 2 Row and Crystal, but I'd like some additional malt backbone.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

Grain bill looks fine. Very similar to my CC which has done well in comps over the years. Judges seem to like CC's with some Munich malt punch as opposed to the typical Anchor clone with 2row, medium crystal and/or Victory. Yeah, I agree, NB hops get a little boring and one dimensional as you drink through a 5 gallon batch.

I would recommend reducing the mash temp with that grain bill to 152-154. 158 will make it pretty sweet/big.

Nuggets would be an interesting twist. I like the candy/herbal sweetness they often provide.

Back