After boil waiting 12 hours before pitch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bk2X

Reaction score
About to start a brew and instead of cooling to ~70f immediately after boil I am going to place the wort in my temp. controlled fridge at 65f. I am uncertain if it would be better to transfer from kettle to conical immediately after boil or just place the kettle in the fridge.

Will the aeration from straining/pouring wort into conical tonight still be sufficient if left untouched by morning for pitching yeast? If not, should i drop a little of the settled material in the morning then attempt to shake the wort prior to pitching?

I do no chill in my BK, then transfer it when it's cool enough to do so. You'll still want to aerate it immediately before pitching though... I wouldn't chance not doing it.

I would just go ahead and pour the wort into your conical assuming it's ss and place it in its ferm chamber once it's cooled down to pitching temps dump all of your trub and pitch your yeast.

You're pouring hot wort into your conical? What's the purpose here? You don't want to oxygenate while the wort is hot.

Experiments done at the quantity that we homebrewers usually work with have shown the it doesn't make any difference. Hot Side Aeration is more of a myth than a truth.

I've done my last 10 or so batches by no chilling in my kettle. If I was using SS conical fermenters, I'd go ahead and transfer to the conical post-boil and chill to pitching temps.

Experiments done at the quantity that we homebrewers usually work with have shown the it doesn't make any difference. Hot Side Aeration is more of a myth than a truth.

I hung out with a couple of AB brewers couple months ago, and when I told them about HSA they just kind of laughed. They chill/aerate by blowing air straight up through a cascading waterfall of hot wort.

HSA notwithstanding, oxygen just isn't very soluble in water at temperatures above 90F.

I do No Chill brewing all the time (30+ batches), just let the wort sit in your BK covered until it is pitching temperature. Then transfer it into your conical with your yeast starter already inside. The aeration from luring the wort from one container to the next will give you all the aeration that you need.

While the wort is chilling,I'm put my yeast starter back on the stir plat at room temperature to get everything back into suspension and to room temperature. Once everything is in the fermentation chamber your yeast should take off like a shot. I've been successful in using rather old yeasts in this way (3-4 days on the stir plate before decanting the spent wort), 1 or 2 days in the fridge and 12-24 hours on the stir plate before pitching.

It really helps me break up a brew day a fit it in (kids, wife, work, etc.).

Not a pro by any means but I've read that each step should be on the stir plate for 18 to 24 hours and leaving it for more time than that will stress the little guys out.

Maybe you could save yourself even more time (and improve your yeast production) by holding off on your yeast starter for a few more days.

Someone please correct me if I am misunderstanding something. This no chill concept intrigues me and I think I will be going this route in the future. It seems this system could be very effective in keeping unwanted bugs/bacteria out of the wort prior to pitching.

Also, how long does is usually take for a 5 gallon batch to cool down to room temp?

Not a pro by any means but I've read that each step should be on the stir plate for 18 to 24 hours and leaving it for more time than that will stress the little guys out.

Maybe you could save yourself even more time (and improve your yeast production) by holding off on your yeast starter for a few more days.

Someone please correct me if I am misunderstanding something. This no chill concept intrigues me and I think I will be going this route in the future. It seems this system could be very effective in keeping unwanted bugs/bacteria out of the wort prior to pitching.

Also, how long does is usually take for a 5 gallon batch to cool down to room temp?

That depends a lot on the temperature and the air movement where you are letting the wort cool. If I can leave my pot outside on a day when it is a bit windy and the temperature is below zero, I'll be looking for the pitching temperature to be reached in about 4 hours. Indoors in a closed room at 62 took one batch about 30 hours to cool.

That depends a lot on the temperature and the air movement where you are letting the wort cool. If I can leave my pot outside on a day when it is a bit windy and the temperature is below zero, I'll be looking for the pitching temperature to be reached in about 4 hours. Indoors in a closed room at 62 took one batch about 30 hours to cool.

Ok, so it's pretty safe to say a 2 day wait would normally be sufficient. I guess there are a lot of factors like quality of insulation and outdoor temps and airflow.

I usually place on my basement floor with a fan blowing across. The longest I have had to wait is 18 hrs.

Ok, so it's pretty safe to say a 2 day wait would normally be sufficient. I guess there are a lot of factors like quality of insulation and outdoor temps and airflow.

So I sat the BK in my fridge that was set to 65F. What I forgot to do was tape the probe from the thermostat to the kettle. The fridge spiked to 115 F pretty quick but got down to 65 ambient temp by morning. However, 16 hrs later the BK was reading 78 F with the fridge not running and that is when I realized if I placed the probe on the BK, the fridge would keep running til the BK reads 65. Transferred to Conical with strainer and good splash, sprinkled dry yeast and had active fermentation within hours. So I would say, 24 hours if left untouched and probably closer to 12 hours if fridge running constant.

Latest posts

Back