After 3 months of tireless workouts...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
I'm done. I didn't win the weight loss competition, but I dropped 25lbs in 3 months. This was all a huge bet, 20 friends went in on for our cruise next week.
My buddy lost 40lbs! He did start a tad higher than I did (210 vs 189).

I debated showing pics, I don't want people to think im a horn blowing ******, but toot toot.:)

This was meant to be in the style of those ridiculous weight loss commercial before and after pics. And at 40 I can honestly say I feel ten times better than I did before. Now to try to maintain. And yes the toilet was left up on purpose.

motivatorf5e45cc8c26ccd2ad5b87d7ed4.jpg

Kudos. That right there is a job well done. I'm impressed by the transformation of the abdominals. What did you do there?

Congrats. :)

Seriously, not much. Everyone has those, their just buried under a layer or two of fat. Abs was my least worked out body part. And lots of veggies helps.

What aboot your homebrew consumption?

Oh boy. I cut it a lot. I allow myself cheat weekends, stay strict during the week and hit it hard on the weekends. The occasional pint won't hurt during the week. Actually once you get your metabolism up, you can get away with a lot. Never more than 2 once or twice during the week, is how I did it.

Excellent job...not easy to do. I've been going to the gym 4 times a week for almost a year now and still cannot lose the layer or two of flab. I am just starting to read up on dieting and eating properly...I am eating way too little and only a couple of times a day...basically slowing my metabolism waaaay down.

Hope to get similar results by summer!

Congrats,

Mike.

I am towing the same line brother. So far, 27 pounds in 3 or 4 months. Started at over 225 and am down to 198 with another 30 or 40 to lose.

I am cheating tho'. Levothyroxine at 100mcg per day. Good diet. And little excercise.

I started with P90X but, that **** is insane.

Nice work.

Improves the quality of one's life, doesn’t it?

Results like that are cool to see.

I started a muscle building regime in May as a precursor to going on a crazed exercise diet. I started at 250, I just broke 200. My waist went from 42 down to 36 so far. The cool thing is that my chest has stayed at 46.

My goal is 175 and a 32 inch waist.

Your results are further inspiration.

To everyone that's working out, KEEP it up! It's not easy, but if it was everyone would be doing it. Staying in shape with all the crap to eat out there is tough. I respect anyone trying to fight the system.:mug:

I am eating way too little and only a couple of times a day...basically slowing my metabolism waaaay down.

Easily the biggest mistake I see people make. Not eating enough is as bad as eating crap all day. A lot of smallish healthy meals through out the day, you should never be hungry!! And my biggest tip if your seriously working out and eating right, A bedtime snack! Yup, I blend (not that good but works like mad) 1/2 cup cottage cheese, a small amount of skim milk, and a scoop of your favorite protein powder. It feeds your muscles while you sleep and allows your body to feast on fat.

Those are fantastic results and a lot of inspiration. I sort of stopped hitting the gym after college and was enjoying life a bit too much. However, the wedding is 4 months from now so back to the gym I go! The depressing part is no more burger and fries with two homebrews to wash it down...

I went from 165lbs and 22% body fat to 185lbs and 12% body fat in 6 months a few years ago. 6 meals per day- a fist-sized portion of broiled chicken breast, another of brown rice, and 3 servings of veggies per day. Lifted 3 days/week, did 20 min. of interval cardio 3 days/week.

Not too hard, really. Basically I followed the Body for Life program. I didn't use any fatburners, but I did use creatine.

That is awesome, That is a great change. I just started the "oh crap I redeploy home in 60 days diet" Hope to get down 15 lbs by then.

Grats man. I recently went on a weight lose binge and lost 80 pounds in 5 months, went from 250 to 170. I packed on all my weight during university and thought my metabolism was gone for good but since I changed my diet and fitness regime I've found my self struggling to maintain 170. My metabolism is in overdrive, I've had to increase my calorie intake just to stop losing weight which is a good thing i guess. Now I can eat and drink anything without the weight gain, I feel like a teen again lol.

Can you go over your weight lifting routine.

Grats man. I recently went on a weight lose binge and lost 80 pounds in 5 months, went from 250 to 170. I packed on all my weight during university and thought my metabolism was gone for good but since I changed my diet and fitness regime I've found my self struggling to maintain 170. My metabolism is in overdrive, I've had to increase my calorie intake just to stop losing weight which is a good thing i guess. Now I can eat and drink anything without the weight gain, I feel like a teen again lol.

I have hopes this will occur for me as well.

Can you give us insight into what you did for 6 meals a day? Did you come up with 6 different meals or did you make a big dish of something and have that a couple times in a day? I'm just trying to figure out how to plan...seems like it should be easy...but not sure where to start.

Thanks,

Mike.

Can you go over your weight lifting routine.

Sorry, I was on vacation last week. I do 1 body part per day 5 days a week, I never workout longer than 30-45 minutes.

Monday- Chest
Tuesday-Back
Wednesday- Shoulders/traps
Thursday-Biceps
Friday- Legs

I try to alternate push/pull exercises every other day. I do simple free weight/dumbell exercises. I am a huge believer in max ot (http://www.ast-ss.com/) although i upped my reps to 8 to 10 instead of the recommended 4 to 6.

Can you give us insight into what you did for 6 meals a day? Did you come up with 6 different meals or did you make a big dish of something and have that a couple times in a day? I'm just trying to figure out how to plan...seems like it should be easy...but not sure where to start.

Thanks,

Mike.

I cooked chicken breasts on Mondays a put it in a ziplock bag for the week. I also made 5 servings of steel cut oats, it keeps well in the fridge. 2 to 3 meals a day were protein shakes. I also ate at least 2 servings of veggies (broccoli, raw spinach leaves, and plain sweet potatoes) per day. I also ate at least a serving of low fat cottage cheese per day. Then I cheat somewhat on the weekends.

I cooked chicken breasts on Mondays a put it in a ziplock bag for the week. I also made 5 servings of steel cut oats, it keeps well in the fridge. 2 to 3 meals a day were protein shakes. I also ate at least 2 servings of veggies (broccoli, raw spinach leaves, and plain sweet potatoes) per day. I also ate at least a serving of low fat cottage cheese per day. Then I cheat somewhat on the weekends.

Everytime I've tried to work in protien shakes as a meal or a snack it seems to leave me hungry still if I use just a normal serving. Did you ever add anything solid in there as well, maybe a piece of fruit or string cheese or something?

Good works, sounds like what I'm about to embark on. I find that having my meals all figured out for me works to my advantage as well.

Everytime I've tried to work in protien shakes as a meal or a snack it seems to leave me hungry still if I use just a normal serving. Did you ever add anything solid in there as well, maybe a piece of fruit or string cheese or something?

I actually lived on these. http://www.supplementwarehouse.com/viewitem.asp?idproduct=144289 their meal replacement shakes so their a tad heavier than straight protein. I added 2 cups of skim milk, a banana, or 1tbsp natural peanut butter then blended. It makes enough for 2- 16oz glasses. I would drink one 1/2 hour before workout and the rest 1/2 hour after. Yes they don't last as long as a solid meal but are packed full of good protein needed for muscle growth.

Remember to always eat a good protein solid meal within 2 hours after workout also.

Thanks for posting all of this. As I "noveled" in a similar thread a few days ago, I started @ 250 in July, down to 178 now. Four months of simple exercise and limited calories/healthy eating. Middle of November I began strength training and more cardio. Still have some fat to burn and muscles to build but it's been exciting, especially given that I've pretty much been a lard-a$$ most of my life.

I started a bonified ab routine Saturday. I think I'll resemble you soon - or die, lol.

Wrong or right, my current routine is about 15 minutes of cardio to get the blood flowing, then 30~45 with weight. Much of the same areas daily, with rest days for a few things. Recently started adding cardio to the end of the strength training for a little more fat burn.

Again, thanks for posting.

For those looking for a program a really good (but REALLY tough one) is at www.crossfit.com - they stress function over "beach muscles" and most of their under 30 minute workouts will leave you gasping for air for an additional 30 minutes. Did that last year, along with cutting out all sugar and fast food out of my diet, and lost 30 lbs and went from a 42 to a 38 waist in 3 months.
Going to start again and will get down to a 34 waist in the next 6 months.

Also, for anyone looking for diet information try http://www.paleodiet.com/ (more of a lifestyle change then a diet as you are never hungry and sometimes can't eat all that you are supposed to)

-Jeremy

Congratulations man, I am roughly in the same boat as you but I took more time to lose the weight I did due to injuries and limited capability. I have lost roughly 30lbs since mid September and it has helped the way my body feels immensely. I also have cut out the fast food completely and try to eat as many veggies as possible. My beer consumption has basically been cut to the occasional beer at home but mostly just social functions when I drink.

Keep doing what you're doing and incorperate it into your way of life man, looks like it's working great for ya.

Also I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet or if you have already incorporated it into your diet but to retain muscle mass and strength gained by working out you need to be taking a scoop of protein or eating the equivalent amount of protein as soon as you wake up in the morning followed by a decent sized mostly carbohydrate breakfast. As soon as your body wakes up it needs the protein to sustain the work and continue rebuilding the muscles from the previous time in the gym. Many people know about taking protein before and after a workout but many exercise nutritional routines don't include this very important tip.

Congrats to all who have done well.

Last year I lost 34 lbs., mostly because of watching my diet. I gained back 10 during the winter but am back on the wagon again. I did weight watchers with my brother and a friend and it's fairly easy to follow. I don't eat their packaged foods. I notice I do best when I am eating a solid breakfast ( plain oatmeal with almonds and blueberries ), salad for lunch ( lots of vegetables and grilled chicken with olive oil and vinegar ), steamed vegetables with lean protein and some rice for dinner. I'll start the gym this month, some cardio and add weights in after a couple of weeks of that.

I am going to resurrect this old thread because I'm interested in the long term results...where you able to maintain your workouts/eating habits?

Almost two years to the date of when I decided to live a healthier lifestyle, I've kept the weight off, and stuck with the healthier eating and daily exercise/lifting. I still don't have the belly fat loss I'd hoped for, but there is a slow progress there. I get bored with the same daily meal routine (cereal for breakfast, small sandwich for lunch, loads of protein and veggies or fruits at night) so I'm trying to mix it up a little now and then but always stay on the healthier side of things.

I've been in the 160/165 range now for almost a year and the strength training is paying dividends in terms of muscle tone. I'm not back into brewing, but I do enjoy more crafts (especially on weekends) that I have in a while. I usually pay for it the first hard day back in the gym after but it's worth it.

Good Job! Did you keep in mind that muscle weighs more than flab when you started the contest?

I mean look at me....I look 250 or so but it's like 75% body fat so I'm only 145.

good job wild, you may know several of us in the TR went through p90x, I lost 25lbs in my first round which was the goal. I am in the 2nd round now and focusing more on muscles this time around. Maybe like 5-10lbs more too.

Was kind hoping this thread would die a peaceful death.:eek:

I'm actually not far off from where I started, I need to lose 10-15 again. I seriously lack any kind of motivation, or will power, or caring about I look like, or what anyone thinks, you get the point.

_

Latest posts

Back