Advise needed concerning the lagering of an Alt bier and Mai bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hole

Reaction score
Hi
I'm wondering a bit about what to do now that primary is over. I have decided that it is time to lower the temp on both beers. the alt was fermented (Düsseldorf Alt yeast)@16 C for just over two weeks(primary ferment over after 5-6 days) and now I have reduced the temperature to around 9 C.

Should it be lower or is this good enough for lagering this German Ale?

The Mai bock (OG 1069) was pitched and fermented (German bock lager yeast) @ 10,5 c for about two weeks. It started to ferment almost immediately and had a temperature peak at about 12 c in side the fermenter before settling @ 10,5 c for the rest of the fermentation. My 6 liter starter was used to the temperature, and was decanted and fed with some starter wort the night before, it was in high krausen when pitched. Now the fermenter temperature have dropped to slightly above ambient(8.4 C) 9 C and I figured it is time for lagering. This is my first lager so I'm not sure of what to do. My plan is to hold the beer @ about 2 C for 6-8 weeks still sitting on the yeast-cake and then bottle with kreusening. I plan to hold it at low temperatures in the bottles until May when its time to drink it.

My reasoning is that the lagering can continue in the bottle, is this right?
can I do this and expect the bottles to bee primed with co2 when may comes and it's time to drink?

ps.
I do this lagering without temperature control so I expect the temperatures will rice somewhat as the hardest winter here is over.

Back