Advice on grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brienmt

Reaction score
I live a long way from the brew supply store. My last visit I stocked up and now trying to figure what to make with what I have left in inventory...

Grains in hand
1.5 lbs briess Bavarian DME
77oz 2 row crushed Bries pale ale malt
71 oz Pilsner malt base malted barley in crushed 6oz crushed
41oz bries white wheat malt I crushed
77oz flaked barley

Yeast Dry
Nottingham ale yeast
Mangrove jacks west coast m44
Fermentis safeale us05
Lellande Munich wheat beer yeast

Hops pellets
Saaz
Hallertau
Mosaic
Ammerillo
Mandarina Bavaria

any advice?

Crushed malt should be used quickly. Store it in a freezer bag and freeze it.

As for recipes, I can't count by ounces. And I don't know if you make one or five gallon batches. As little as I know about brewing, just brew more and focus on fermentation more than the grain bill. I would look at the specs of your yeast, check the styles that fits them, see if i can maintain optimal temp for it, and find an easy recipe on beersmith for that style.

not sure how big a batch you're doing but i would use it all (accept the flaked barley) , US05, and the last 3 hops. That should give you a nice light IPA type thing

not sure how big a batch you're doing but i would use it all (accept the flaked barley) , US05, and the last 3 hops. That should give you a nice light IPA type thing

Do you mean use the last three hops listed or “use it all, EXCEPT the last three hops listed?

so it looks like you have about 9.25 pounds of a base malt and 2.5 pounds wheat. This gives a ration of about 27% wheat to base malt. I make a simple blonde ale with 80% base to 20% wheat. Its super easy and enjoyable across all spectrums of beer drinkers. The last batch I did used 20% flaked oats instead of wheat, while my next planned batch will use 20% flaked barley. You can use any of the adjuncts up to 30%. I would use the saaz and/or hallertau for bittering to about 20 ibu and add a half ounce at 5 mins for extra flavor. Ferment with 05 or m44.
Using the same base as the 80/20 (or 70/30), you can also use the last three hops and indicated by @ajm163 as late hop additions only and there is your apa/ipa thingy. You will want to save some for dry hops. Using the flaked adjuncts will give you haze. You actually have a lot of possibilities with what you have on hand. I would be curious to know what you come up with.

so it looks like you have about 9.25 pounds of a base malt and 2.5 pounds wheat. This gives a ration of about 27% wheat to base malt. I make a simple blonde ale with 80% base to 20% wheat. Its super easy and enjoyable across all spectrums of beer drinkers. The last batch I did used 20% flaked oats instead of wheat, while my next planned batch will use 20% flaked barley. You can use any of the adjuncts up to 30%. I would use the saaz and/or hallertau for bittering to about 20 ibu and add a half ounce at 5 mins for extra flavor. Ferment with 05 or m44.
Using the same base as the 80/20 (or 70/30), you can also use the last three hops and indicated by @ajm163 as late hop additions only and there is your apa/ipa thingy. You will want to save some for dry hops. Using the flaked adjuncts will give you haze. You actually have a lot of possibilities with what you have on hand. I would be curious to know what you come up with.

thanks awesome advice!

I stocked up with supplies having wheat beer in mind. My third batch is fermenting now, so this will be fourth. My oldest is a higher IPA beer drinker and suggested sone of the hops.

Thinking about another trip up to brew supply store maybe this weekend.

what do you think about loading up on the bries malt?

if this use much of what I have on this IPA attempt, is a large 50lb bag of bries a smart way forward for the next batch that follows?
I see where I can get a big bag of bries and that would make a good amount of beer batches.

I just got two bags, marris otter and pilsner, the last two were pils and Am 2 row. I also have 5 lb C-60, Aromatic, Victory, midnight Wheat, cara aroma and honey malt. I can make a lot of different stuff without running off to the LHBS. :mug:

Breed yesterday original readings look good. On the mark of what I was shooting for.

batch 3. IPA (double?)
Cooked 27FEB2921
Grain bill:
9.6 lbs = 154oz 2 row Bries pale ale malt
4.8 lbs = 71 oz Pilsner malt base malted barley in crushed 6oz crushed 77oz total
2.5 lbs = 41oz bries white wheat malt I crushed
Approx 15lbs total grains
2oz dry rice hulls before soaked in warm water 20 mins
Made a yeast starter
Fermentis safeale us05
100grams DME needs 1200ml water to a pint for 1000ml at end of boil
Heat to boil
Boil 10-15 mins
Shake\stir often
After boil cool to 70 degrees
Swirl
Add yeast