Advice on Belgian Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtynct

Reaction score
First time poster, longtime reader. I want to brew a Belgian, but I don't know what strain of yeast to use. Has anyone deciphered the names of the strains to the beers that are used to make them? Advanced thanks!

What kind of Belgian? There's lots of good strains out there, some suited better to some purposes than others.

Edit: and as far as the strains, you can get a rough idea of strain profiles with this: http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

For a Dubbel, 3787 or 1214 will work wonderfully. I love both strains equally. For a Saison, you'll get the best flavor (IMHO) with 3724, though it can be finicky in most cases. 3711 with ferment gasoline, so I've started fermenting Saisons with both. 3724 for a week (80*F+ temps), then pitch a 0.5L starter of 3711 at high krausen. I've never had a problem with oxidation with pitching the entire starter of 3711, but then again, I've never really let a Saison of mine sit around for too long.

Edit: those are all Wyeast numbers. You can find the White labs equivalent in my previous link.

I agree with phenry.. 3787 or 1214 are my two favorites.

If you are doing a saison I would suggest 3711 for your first one. It is not as finicky as 3724. It always ferments low with a wider temperature range. 3724 needs a lot of heat to finish. I usually ramp it up the the high 80's or even 90.

I did a 7 bridges Organic Belgian Dubel extract kit with WLP530 Abbey Ale Yeast ( whitelabs liquid vial ) and it came out GREEEAAATTT.
It was my second brew and was just outstanding IMO. Needed 4 weeks to carb up nicely though... but i left it in primary for a quite awhile due to no time to bottle.

I highly recommend picking up Brew Like A Monk by Stan Hieronymous if you're really interested in Belgian ales, particularly Abbey/Trappist styles.

Excellent suggestion. Great book.

I did not mention it in my other post, but Belgian yeasts do require good temperature control. I like to pitch at the low end or even slightly under the recommended temp. Usually mid 60's, hold it there for a day or two until things get going, and then slowly bring the temp up. If you get it too hot too fast you will get fusels. Do not let the temp drop after fermentation starts, or you will be posting about a stuck fermentation.

Back