Adjusting Water Profile - Beer Smith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonestar

Reaction score
Now that I have my local water profile...
What numbers am I shooting for when I am trying to make adjustments to my water? What are the ideal brewing water numbers regarding calcium, magnesium, sulfate, chloride, bicarbonate & sodium???

Thanks

Well, it sounds like you need to do some research first off. There are different ideal types of water for different types of beer. You would want to do something different for darker beers like stouts vs. lighter beers like pilsners vs. hoppy beers like IPAs. In general though there are some preloaded geographic areas on Beersmith that you could target if you just think of the beer that that place is know for.

Well, it sounds like you need to do some research first off. There are different ideal types of water for different types of beer. You would want to do something different for darker beers like stouts vs. lighter beers like pilsners vs. hoppy beers like IPAs. In general though there are some preloaded geographic areas on Beersmith that you could target if you just think of the beer that that place is know for.

There's really no 'ideal' numbers for water. Water from one part of the world is different from that in other parts. The purpose of building a water profile that fits the style you're brewing, like mimicking water from Munich to brew a dunkel or water from Burton-Upon-Trent to brew an English Pale Ale. There's charts available online that will show you the water profiles of these areas and give you an idea of what you're shooting for based on the desired results from the beer you're brewing.

Spent the morning researching John Palmer's How to Brew. Getting a grip on this now.

Bonestar said:
Now that I have my local water profile...
What numbers am I shooting for when I am trying to make adjustments to my water? What are the ideal brewing water numbers regarding calcium, magnesium, sulfate, chloride, bicarbonate & sodium???

Thanks

Get this.
http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/

I use this for every beer I make. It is a great tool.

Back