Must have salts/acids?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
I am still trying to learn about building water profiles and all the available additions are just confusing. I have gypsum, calcium chloride, Lactic & phosphoric acid. I got these based off some different articles. Is there anything that is a must have? I will be getting a RO system, but for now I am using store bought RO water.

Besides what you already have, I would also add Epsom Salt, baking soda and canning salt. Epsom will add some magnesium and sulfates to water, baking soda is good if you need to bring pH back up, especially if making a dark beer. It will add some sodium and increase bicarbonate. As for canning salt, I usually just use sea salt...you just want to make sure you use non-ionized salt. Salt will add, well sodium and increase chlorides. I also highly recommend using Bru'n Water spreadsheet for adjusting your water per style you are brewing.

I’m not convinced that magnesium is ever necessary, though I use it myself out of habit. And too much is definitely a bad thing. But (uniodized) salt and baking soda are good ideas. (With full-volume BIAB, I almost never need the baking soda.)

Ignore calculators (and people) suggesting chalk.

Chalk dissolves readily in the mash and actually works very well, especially for English ales. I’ve been using Graham Wheeler’s calculator for years and it’s always spot on for me.

Chalk dissolves readily in the mash and actually works very well, especially for English ales. I’ve been using Graham Wheeler’s calculator for years and it’s always spot on for me.
Chalk or calcium carbonate has a water solubility of 0.013 g/L (25 °C). You can get about 13mg to dissolve per liter, pretty much useless in the mash. You can get it to dissolve over time in the presence of carbonic acid, in other words in carbonated water.

Any calculator that show it into solution are incorrect. It's worthless in brewing to raise pH. Your better off with calcium hydroxide (pickling lime) or sodium bicarbonate. Keep in mind that calcium hydroxide has water solubility of 1.73 g/L (20 °C) and has retrograde solubility (solubility goes down with temperature increase) so it's not the easiest to get into solution in a hot mash.

I am still trying to learn about building water profiles and all the available additions are just confusing. I have gypsum, calcium chloride, Lactic & phosphoric acid. I got these based off some different articles. Is there anything that is a must have? I will be getting a RO system, but for now I am using store bought RO water.
Those four additions are sufficient for getting started.

With RO water, baking soda is helpful for adjusting pH in darker styles; epsom Salt and canning salt are optional (but I often use them); and chalk is rarely ('never say never') needed.

What "water chemistry" software are you planning to use? What's your next recipe? Given the answers to those two questions, someone here will likely be able to double check your additions.

Chalk or calcium carbonate has a water solubility of 0.013 g/L (25 °C). You can get about 13mg to dissolve per liter, pretty much useless in the mash. You can get it to dissolve over time in the presence of carbonic acid, in other words in carbonated water.

Any calculator that show it into solution are incorrect. It's worthless in brewing to raise pH. Your better off with calcium hydroxide (pickling lime) or sodium bicarbonate. Keep in mind that calcium hydroxide has water solubility of 1.73 g/L (20 °C) and has retrograde solubility (solubility goes down with temperature increase) so it's not the easiest to get into solution in a hot mash.
Chalk dissolves readily in the mash and works very well. Have you ever tried it? I know some brewers don’t like to use it, because it doesn’t dissolve well in water, but a mash is a bit more complicated than water. With my tap water, I need to raise pH when brewing dark beers. Chalk works great for me. The pH is always spot on when I use Graham Wheeler’s water calculator. Quite a few home brewers in the UK use it. Are they all wrong?

Chalk dissolves readily in the mash and works very well. Have you ever tried it? I know some brewers don’t like to use it, because it doesn’t dissolve well in water, but a mash is a bit more complicated than water. With my tap water, I need to raise pH when brewing dark beers. Chalk works great for me. The pH is always spot on when I use Graham Wheeler’s water calculator. Quite a few home brewers in the UK use it. Are they all wrong?
Are they all wrong? I don't know what they do first hand what they do in the UK, but it's highly unlikely that the mash some how works magic on this salt. It's well known among brewers, both homebrewers and pro's that it has almost no effect on mash pH because it's not very soluble. I have tried it myself and the pH in the mash did not change, so I did some research and discovered the only way to get to go into solution is through a pre-treatment of carbonated water.

If they are using the way you suggest, it's just sinking to the bottom of the mash tun. Then yes, they are wrong. It's basic high school chemistry.

Sorry, chalk only dissolves slightly...even in a mash. I've had several commercial clients that tried using chalk for mashing their dark beers and they had no success in avoiding an overly low wort and beer pH. Chalk will typically increase wort pH by about 0.1 units and then stop, no matter how much more is added. Chalk is not suitable for adding alkalinity to mashing water. Baking soda and pickling lime are far better options for adding alkalinity.

For the OP, I'd say that the salts and acids you've mentioned are a great start. I'd add baking soda, epsom salt, and table salt to that list. All of those are very cheap, so they should be no big deal to have on hand. If you're into hoppy and bittered beers, adding magnesium with epsom salt is definitely worthwhile.

Are they all wrong? I don't know what they do first hand what they do in the UK, but it's highly unlikely that the mash some how works magic on this salt. It's well known among brewers, both homebrewers and pro's that it has almost no effect on mash pH because it's not very soluble. I have tried it myself and the pH in the mash did not change, so I did some research and discovered the only way to get to go into solution is through a pre-treatment of carbonated water.

If they are using the way you suggest, it's just sinking to the bottom of the mash tun. Then yes, they are wrong. It's basic high school chemistry.
Have you tried using chalk in the mash? It’s very easy to assess its effect on mash pH. It works. I’m not saying you have to use it. There are at least a few ways brewers can raise pH. There is a myth propagated by some home brewers that chalk doesn’t work when, in fact, it does work.

https://www.murphyandson.co.uk/product/calcium-carbonate-chalk-25kg/

This is the chalk downs near Lewes, UK, where Harvey’s brewing water percolates through.

IMG_0102.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry, chalk only dissolves slightly...even in a mash. I've had several commercial clients that tried using chalk for mashing their dark beers and they had no success in avoiding an overly low wort and beer pH. Chalk will typically increase wort pH by about 0.1 units and then stop, no matter how much more is added. Chalk is not suitable for adding alkalinity to mashing water. Baking soda and pickling lime are far better options for adding alkalinity.

For the OP, I'd say that the salts and acids you've mentioned are a great start. I'd add baking soda, epsom salt, and table salt to that list. All of those are very cheap, so they should be no big deal to have on hand. If you're into hoppy and bittered beers, adding magnesium with epsom salt is definitely worthwhile.
That’s interesting, because I have assessed the effects of chalk on mash pH using a reliable pH meter, and it works. My mash pH is always spot on too when I use chalk additions.

It takes years for the chalk to become dissolved into the water table and water chemistry is much more complicated than it first appears.
That’s right, and it’s a continuously ongoing process as well. It takes minutes in a mash. Easily observable with a pH meter.

That’s right, and it’s a continuously ongoing process as well. It takes minutes in a mash. Easily observable with a pH meter.

CaC03? Maybe you guys are talking 2 different things?

Or, it's not dissolving for you per se but you are getting what you need form it, in that case it could indeed be said to have worked or done the job.

Hmm, I'm curious to know what is the disconnect between you guys.

Does it have to dissolve to be effective? Wouldn't just the particles of chalk being evenly dispersed throughout the wort act to buffer the pH?

Just asking. I've never used it or much of anything else in the water I brew with. However if I ever return to making stouts, I'm definitely going to have to do something for the plain bottled water I currently use for light ales and IPA's.

Does it have to dissolve to be effective? Wouldn't just the particles of chalk being evenly dispersed throughout the wort act to buffer the pH?

Just asking. I've never used it or much of anything else in the water I brew with. However if I ever return to making stouts, I'm definitely going to have to do something for the plain bottled water I currently use for light ales and IPA's.
Yes, it needs to be dissolved to effect pH. That has always been a problem with chalk, it doesn't readily dissolve and literally drops out, or precipitates out of solution.

I have done that and I observed no change in the pH, or very little. It doesn't work. I don't know what your doing, but chalk is not dissolving into solution because it is not very soluble, therefore your mash pH is rising due to something else.

I do know it is very difficult to add alkalinity to water. Typically sodium bicarbonate is the easiest because it dissolves so readily. Pickling lime is less soluble, so the amount of alkalinity you can add is limited. Lowering pH is easy, raising it is much more difficult.

You can actually read up on it and learn the chemistry behind it or just assume your right and every one else is wrong.

https://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Building_brewing_water_with_dissolved_chalk

I have done that and I observed no change in the pH, or very little. It doesn't work. I don't know what your doing, but chalk is not dissolving into solution because it is not very soluble, therefore your mash pH is rising due to something else.

I do know it is very difficult to add alkalinity to water. Typically sodium bicarbonate is the easiest because it dissolves so readily. Pickling lime is less soluble, so the amount of alkalinity you can add is limited. Lowering pH is easy, raising it is much more difficult.

You can actually read up on it and learn the chemistry behind it or just assume your right and every one else is wrong.

https://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Building_brewing_water_with_dissolved_chalk
I see. So many British brewers have got it all wrong then? It clearly does work, in reality. And, in terms of raising mash pH, just as well as any other method used by brewers. Can you explain why your opinion on the matter goes against the conventional wisdom of so many brewers in Britain? What have you read, exactly? Second-hand myths?

Yes, it needs to be dissolved to effect pH. That has always been a problem with chalk, it doesn't readily dissolve and literally drops out, or precipitates out of solution.
Well the assumption would be that because it's present and available, what little percentage of it that is able to be dissolved will provide the ion or whatever is needed and then as it's used up, more will dissolve to replenish that.

But anything involving pH and why something dissolves is beyond my pay grade.

That has always been a problem with chalk, it doesn't readily dissolve and literally drops out, or precipitates out of solution.
It’s not a problem in the mash. Again, a mash isn’t simply water. Next time I brew, I’m going to prep a mini mash containing some dark malt and make a little demo of the effects of chalk on mash pH. Then I’ll post it here.

@hilljack13 as was mentioned earlier ...
What "water chemistry" software are you planning to use? What's your next recipe? Given the answers to those two questions, someone here will likely be able to double check your additions.

Many of us have brewed enjoyable beer without (ever considering) using chalk.

Last edited:
What "water chemistry" software are you planning to use? What's your next recipe? Given the answers to those two questions, someone here will likely be able to double check your additions
I have played around with Bru-n-water (non paid version), EZ-water-calculator, and BrewFather. They are all a bit different seems like, and the bru-n-water pH is fixed on 5.72, it never changes even when I purposefully put wacky numbers in. So far I like the Brew Father, just don't know how accurate it is but I followed it for my hefe brew over the weekend. I have a few kits planned, mostly ales, one stout and an oktoberfest.

For the hefe, the BF gave me:
0.9g Baking soda
2.9g Calcium Chloride
3.0g Gypsum
5ml lactic acid. I only used 2ml as my pH was mid to high 5. I thought I put it in the recipe but apparently forgot :(

Last grain bill was
2-Row pilsner: 5.5 lb
Wheat, Red: 4 lb
Dark Munich: .25 lb

since bru-n-water and the EZ-water calculator require addition amounts I took what Brewfather spit out and input those. Again, the pH in Bru-n-Water never changes; constant 5.72. BF and EZ were 5.41 and 5.40 respectively.

BF Balanced profile: CA^2+=50 Mg^2+=7 Na+=16 Cl-=60 SO4^2-=70 HC3O-=37

EZ =49 =0 =9 =46 =55 =N/A

BNW Yellow Balanced =60 =0 =8 =67 =57 Bicarbonate=-169

They are somewhat close, I am guessing the target profiles are not exact.

Do you have the free version? No matter what I put in the pH never changes. I have zeroed the enter workbook where entries are allowed.

Do you have the free version? No matter what I put in the pH never changes. I have zeroed the enter workbook where entries are allowed.

It's been years since I've looked at Bru-n-Water, but it didn't behave the way you are describing. (It was the free version.) Also, IIRC there was a lengthy page (sheet/tab) of instructions. Did you read them?

I read through them, took me a good while. Volume 5.5 FV, 2.5 sparge, total 8.

I just redownloaded, Looks like I did something wrong. pH is moving. The previous download gives me an error of circular references. The new download did not.

Hello All, I am also a relatively new brewer, just starting on my 19th batch. In my last 7 or 8 brews I have started making water adjustments. I have been using the water and mash screens off of the BeerSmith3 program. In your opinions, how does the BeerSmith3 program compare to the Bru-n-water program or other water adjsutment programs?

For the hefe, the BF gave me:
0.9g Baking soda
2.9g Calcium Chloride
3.0g Gypsum
5ml lactic acid. I only used 2ml as my pH was mid to high 5. I thought I put it in the recipe but apparently forgot
I would say that a program that has you adding backing soda to a hefe just to use acid to neutralize it is not a good one. The question I ask is why you need RO in the first place. For me it is because my alkalinity is 400 ppm, so when I brew a dark beer I add back filtered house water, which dissolves really nicely.
On the Mg front , I've noticed more of an egg drop soup for the hot break when I started incorporating it.

I would say that a program that has you adding backing soda to a hefe just to use acid to neutralize it is not a good one.

It's what happens when chasing a pre-loaded "profile" that includes an HCO3 number, instead of building in what's needed. I've probably said this about a hundred times before, but no water recipe should ever start with any sort of HCO3 target. It should only be added if/when needed to raise pH.

I've probably said this about a hundred times before, but no water recipe should ever start with any sort of HCO3 target. It should only be added if/when needed to raise pH.
I think it's an easy mistake to make though. I know that when I first started to look at regional and historic water profiles to learn about what was used to brew particular styles, I naively thought that the idea was that you needed to replicate that water and then go from there. But of course those profiles describe the water those brewers have, not the water they want. And after reading the instructions and notes in Bru'n Water and then playing around with it a little, my folly became clear.

But of course those profiles describe the water those brewers have, not the water they want.
And even if your only goal is to recreate a beer as it was historically made (not the same thing as making the best possible beer, though that's an argument to be had elsewhere), you have to know both the regional water mineral content, and any treatment the brewers of the time put it through before brewing. This can be done (at least in some cases), but I think it takes us way out of the "Beginners Beer Brewing" forum.

Latest posts

Back