Additions for soft water for ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmskis

Reaction score
What is the best additions to water that is very soft to get good hoppy characteristics? I have heard that adding Epsom or gypsum will help. I have read that sulfate helps in this area and I know my water is low on sulfate.

It helps to know your water composition before making additions. I would consider getting a water analysis from somewhere like Ward labs.

I would also recommend using a water spreadsheet like EZ Water or Bru'N water.

With that said, I would use Gypsum to add sulfate to the water. Gypsum is CaSO4. so Calcium Sulfate. The calcium is good for the yeast and sulfate should express the bitterness and the hops more, although according to EZ water and others, that is more a result of the chloride to sulfate ratio, and not just sulfate. Depending on how soft your water is, something like 2 to 5 grams should do the trick. Adding gypsum to your mash will lower your mash pH somewhat. You could also add it to the boil.

...and sulfate should express the bitterness and the hops more, although according to EZ water and others, that is more a result of the chloride to sulfate ratio, and not just sulfate.

Stick to your guns. It is the level of sulfate, not the ratio.

OTOH, to get good hop expression adjust hopping levels, schedule and varieties. Sulfate does have an effect on hops perception. Learn what it is and how to use sulfate to adjust it. Lots of people think they can control how hoppy their beer is with sulfate. They seldom seem to realize that the driver is, surprise, the hops.

I have a water analysis. 13 calcium, 3 mag, 6 sulfate and 8 chloride. All ppm. If you need any other numbers I can get those. Any suggestions for this profile?

Latest posts

Back