Adding smoke after the boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigmn

Reaction score
Is there any way to add smokiness to an IPA after fermentation? I am brewing a smoked orange IPA and I don't want to overdo the smoke and didn't know if I could add some later if I undershoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Why not use smoked malt in the mash/steep/etc? Just don't go overboard.. smoked malt goes a long way. I used a pound of peat smoked malt in a 5gal batch of smoked scotch ale, and it was REALLY smoky... like a campfire in every bottle. After it aged for about 6 months though, it was fantastic.

I don't know about adding smoke after fermentation though.

Smoked oak chips dropped in secondary would do it.

It would be hard to guage how much smoke is needed from an uncarbonated sample, and it would be harder still to calculate how much you are adding.

I say roll with it. Make good notes, adjust next time.

If you adjust mid-stream, it will be impossible to replicate.

You could also try making a very smokey small batch and try blending it. You'd still be stuck with the uncarbonated issue, but you could sample it until you think it's close. Then you have the numbers from the small batch and can merge that recipe into the original.

I've never tried it before, but Liquid Smoke might help. I dont think you'd need much.

Latest posts

Back