Is there a way to make some sort of smoke tincture to dose smoke character post fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepy_D

Reaction score
I like to add tinctures of adjuncts post fermentation so I can get the exact intensity I want. Is there any way to do this for smoke character? Could I make a tincture of smoke malt without extracting undesirable unfermented malt components? Could I use the “liquid smoke” product used in cooking?

I can get the exact intensity I want.
Apologies, but I'm finding this part a bit vague.... do you mean intensity of taste? The smoke character is usually introduced in using smoked malt in the recipe. After the fact, I suppose smoked oat-cubes in the fermenter can bring some smoke character.

Apologies, but I'm finding this part a bit vague.... do you mean intensity of taste? The smoke character is usually introduced in using smoked malt in the recipe. After the fact, I suppose smoked oat-cubes in the fermenter can bring some smoke character.
Yes my usual process would be to take 3 oz of beer and dose it with a tincture of say chili peppers or vanilla or whatever to find the right amount to add and then scale it up. I’m wondering if there is a way to do that to add some smoke taste, aroma, or character to a beer post fermentation.

Do they sell smoked wood cubes like they do unsmoked wood cubes to add wood character? If so that would provably work, I wasn’t aware of those existing

It would be easiest to use "liquid smoke" as you can trial-dose a small pour to find the rate you enjoy and extrapolate to a larger volume...

Cheers!

It would be easiest to use "liquid smoke" as you can trial-dose a small pour to find the rate you enjoy and extrapolate to a larger volume...

Cheers!
Any idea if that would be the “right” kind of smoke? I don’t want to make the beer taste like a brisket

Not sure about liquid smoke. They contain a fair bit of salt and sugar. Here's the ingredient list from one of the more popular brands:

Water, Soy Sauce (Water, Salt, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Corn Syrup, Caramel Coloring), Hickory Smoke Flavor, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Vinegar, Caramel Coloring, Garlic & Onion Powder and Spices.

Maybe try one of those cocktail smoker kits?

I've used liguid smoke successfully by itself and to increase smoke in beers made with (too lttle) rauch malt. I use Wright's since it doesn't have added salt, flavors, etc. Ingredient list says water, natural smoke concentrate. You might want to give it a shot. Good luck!🍻🍻

https://wrightsliquidsmoke.com/
You could also try making your own so you have more wood choices but it's more trouble than I want to go to.

Bierstacheln

get a beer caramelizer heat it up to I think 1500 degrees with a blow torch and plunge it into a really ice cold pint of Oktoberfest. It’s really good and really dangerous.

Bierstacheln

get a beer caramelizer heat it up to I think 1500 degrees with a blow torch and plunge it into a really ice cold pint of Oktoberfest. It’s really good and really dangerous.

A brewery I go to a lot does Bierstacheln events from time to time. Get the right beer and it's awesome. Works great on beers with some residual sugars. I had a Scottish strong that turned out nice after dunking the red-hot fireplace poker.

Not sure about liquid smoke. They contain a fair bit of salt and sugar. Here's the ingredient list from one of the more popular brands:
No that's not real liquid smoke that's supermarket garbage. Real liquid smoke is just smoke particles caught by water. Wright's is a good brand and it's cheap for a ton on amazon.
They have Hickory, Apple wood, and Mesquite. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0023V2EWG for a big bottle.

Latest posts

Back