Forgot salts in NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitHole

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed the IPA early in the morning. Just so happens I forgot to put salt in the mash. Is there any chance I could add the salts now in fermentation of the beer or am I smoking crack

All done with r/o water. PH was ok. Finished 1.010 for 6.3%

Yeah I wouldn't bother at this point. Maybe if you didn't dry hop yet you could add some with the dry hop but I dont know it will dissolve completely. And you want to avoid o2 so keep that in mind.

The salt is to bring the mash to the right pH. Once mash is done, it won't do anything but screw up the beer. Leave it and let it do it's thing.

And if you look at how much brewing salts actually move pH, it's not a lot.

I always add salts to hit target water profile, then adjust the rest of the pH gap with lactic acid.

That said, NEIPA is a complex flavor beast. Seems unlikely adding salts at this point will have the same adjustment effect as if it were in the mash.

And if you look at how much brewing salts actually move pH, it's not a lot.

I always add salts to hit target water profile, then adjust the rest of the pH gap with lactic acid.

That said, NEIPA is a complex flavor beast. Seems unlikely adding salts at this point will have the same adjustment effect as if it were in the mash.
This was my thought. What a screw up. Hahahah. I was just to tired from the three 4am brew days prior.
I cold crashed it today. See what happens. I hope it doesn’t end up down the drain. Kegging on Saturday.

I’m on day two of cold crash. She’s sitting at 33°. Tomorrow night if it’s still tasting pretty rough I’ll add something to it. Not sure where to even start. Party is Saturday. I let this one go 17days in fermenter and did dry hops super late. So this is a shot in the dark beer anyways.

FWIW, adding CaCl / CaS04 in the keg (or in the glass) is a topic that appears here from time to time (the topics I remember did have a happy ending).
So I went for it. I just used the calcium and gypsum the recipe originally called for which is way over kill, dissolved it in 120° water. Which doesn’t do much. But I don’t care at this point. It def helped. I will give it a few days. I’m letting it warm back up to room temp and see if the yeast can condition it some more. And let the salts mix in better.

Hopefully in a week it’s better.

Back