Adding hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broncoblue

Reaction score
Just made a porter from a coppers kit. Just remembered the last time I made it that the taste was good but no hops at all. So its been fermenting for 2 days, can I just add hop leafs in the carboy and if so what kind would be good and how many oz's?

Are you looking for hop flavor and aroma or bitterness? If you are looking for bitterness, you are a little too late (well I suppose you could look for hop extracts, but I'm not sure how those work). If you are looking to just get some flavor and aroma, then yes, you can just add hops to your carboy (this is dry hopping). When dry hopping, I will let the beer ferment out completely and transfer to a secondary... this is where I add the dry hops. In the case of a porter, I imagine East Kent Goldings or Fuggles would be nice.

EDIT: BTW, dry hopping a porter is a little unusual because the malt dominates... but I know some who have done it with good results...

Can i let it ferment then just dry hop in the primary then keg it after a few days or weeks

How about taking a small amount of water place hops in it let it boil for 60min then add it to your keg (Hop tea)? Or just let it do its thing. Head to your LHBS and pick up hop oil. It only takes one drop for a 12oz bottle to hop it up a bit. May be even use a drop in your glass before you pour your brew in your mug or glass?

I just added 1 oz of cascade hops boiled in half a gallon of water, strained and cooled, to a 6 gallon fermentation on day 3 - the plan being to increase aroma.

Latest posts

Back