Adding Grapefruit Zest at the end of primary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
I have a wheat beer thats been in primary for about 3 weeks or so and I was going to rack it over to secondary and then add some grapefruit zest, but because I've never worked with it I didn't want the zest to over power the brew. So I thought about adding the zest(sanitized with Absolut Mandarin) with a little grapefruit juice in it to the primary and let it sit for another week or two. This way I can always add more during the secondary with my dry hopping if it isn't strong enough, and if I only give it a week it shouldn't be too strong of flavor infusion. I haven't tasted the brew at all yet, so I'll probably do that before adding anything, but I don't like to thief too much too often, I'm a little paranoid about screwing something up still with too much opening and closing. Any thoughts?

ive done it...give primary atleast a full 2 weeks to wind down and then pitch. Dont pout your mouth over the opening and you should be fine.

OK, so i pitched one medium grapefruit worth of zest and some juice into primary after soaking it in Absolut Mandarin, maybe 1/4 cup and added about 1Tbls of brown sugar. Should I expect to see any active fermentation or because of the low amount of sugars added will not even be noticeable? Its been about two days and I don't see anything happening, I am suspecting I won't visibly see any fermentation.

Latest posts

Back