Adding extract at different boil times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
On my first batch (Hefeweizen) I added all of the extract at the beginning of my 60 minute boil and it came out darker than normal Hefeweizen's should. I have since read with Hefeweizen's to add half the extract at the beginning and the rest 15 minute until the end and it should look more like the all grain comes out.

I am about to brew a Kama Citra Session IPA kit from NB and was wondering if I would want to use this technique with other extract kits such as this?

Does this method affect the overall flavor and OG, or is it just going to affect color?

So if I am boiling an initial 4 gallons for a 5 gallon batch 60 minute with a 6lb extract recipe, mix in 4lbs of extract at the beginning of boil, then the remaining 2lbs at flameout?

If I am doing a hop stand at flameout do I just do this after adding that 2lbs and stirring in?

Doesn't really matter if you do extract or hops first. Extract doesn't need to be in the boil the entire time - but it does need to be in there for a SMALL amount of time just to sanitize any microbes that got mixed in with it.

The only reason to add any extract at the beginning of the boil at all is to increase the utilization of the bittering hops. Some (opinion-based) experiments have resulted in slightly better beer using the late addition of extract. Lighter color, less carmelization, less extract "twang."

When the old timers here suggested that I try it for the typical reasons, I found out quickly it was more than mere opinion. It works in regard to color & flavor, so far as maillard reactions are concerned.

This is interesting information. I guess this method would make it impossible to be "too light" when comparing to an all grain version of the recipe? The darker color comes from caramalizing extract which is avoided by late addition correct?

It'll certainly help. Can't say avoided completely in my experience. But then, even my all grain brews turn out (ever so) slightly darker than intended almost every time, so I'm not the best professor.

It also depends on the SRM rating of the extracts used. I've gotten straw to golden yellow colors in my lighter hybrid lagers & paler ales. Using the late extract addition method just ensures the color will be as light as possible, given the SRM's involved.

I'm brewing this tomorrow. Should I do late additions if I plan to do a full boil to yield 5 gallons?

Yep, most can be late anyway. Do some searches for proper early/late ratios. I think basic brewing radio has done a few episode on late additions and short boil extract brews.

I have 6lbs LME and 1lb DME for my recipe. What would be a good timing? 2lbs LME and 1lb DME up front then the rest 15 minutes from the end?

I have 6lbs LME and 1lb DME for my recipe. What would be a good timing? 2lbs LME and 1lb DME up front then the rest 15 minutes from the end?

I'd go with approx 1 pound extract per pound (give or take, no need to be exact) per gallon of water in the boil, and add the rest at flame out. Adding it with 15 minutes left will mean taking it off the burner, stirring it in which will stop the boil, and then cooking it longer since you want to get back to a boil for your hops.

Just add the rest of it at flame out, and stir well. I'd use any DME first, with the LME later (if using both), since LME is more likely to darken or scorch.

Yeah. Since the wort is still boiling hot at flame out, & pasteurization happens in seconds @ 160F, it'll be fine adding it then. I do it all the time.

Fantastic I like that idea as there are hop additions in 15 minute intervals during the boil so adding extract at the end right before I do a hop stand sounds easiest. At this point my wort chiller will be placed in 15 minutes before flame out too, this shouldn't cause problems mixing the remaining extract should it?

If I am doing a lb per gallon....that is almost all of my extract though. 6lbs LME 1LB DME in 6 gallons. That leaves 1 lb for the end practically being all of it...

I ended up doing 1lb DME/2lb LME at 60min...then the remaining 4lb LME at flame out followed by the hop stand. We will see how it comes out as I didn't alter the hope utilization and used the normal recipe.

I'm brewing this tomorrow. Should I do late additions if I plan to do a full boil to yield 5 gallons?

It's not as big of a deal with full boils as it is with partials. I don't know why for sure. Greater dilution probably prevents some of that unintended caramelization.

I generally don't bother with late additions myself. It's mostly just color that's affected and if you're using lme you have to remove the heat source while you mix in the extract or risk scorching it.

Is there any sense in doing a late addition if you are doing a dark beer?

I think it affects the flavor as well as the color. But you might actually like the flavor the maillard reactions give to some beers - like stout maybe. Just the same, I always do late addition for consistency - both boil gravity and the temperature of the hop stand.

I have been doing just all grain for the last six years but time constraints have limited that. I just bought 3 of the extract kits from N Brewer. (Could not pass up $14.92). Two kits were brown ale. Think I ll do one regular and one late for a comparison

I always do late additions, no matter the color. But most of mt beers are pb/pm biab, so extract goes in @ flame out anyway. But AE beers get better color & flavor with late additions. I like @ flame out, since the wort's still boilin' hot & pasteurization happens @ 160f in seconds.

Latest posts

Back