Adding caraway seeds to a rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmako

Reaction score
I have a rye in my primary (2 days) and just thought about adding caraway seeds for flavor.

Too late or can I add to secondary? If so how much, or is this just a bad idea?

Comments?

I've been planning a caraway wheat/rye for months myself. It's gonna be my first all-grain batch. I have all the grains in the freezer, just not a big enough brew kettle yet.

There are a few commercial brews that use caraway. (Names don't immediately come to mind, but I found them when researching the idea.)

My recipe includes one tablespoon for a 5 gallon batch. I plan to very lightly toast them before adding them to the boil for 10 minutes. I have no idea if a tablespoon is a good amount, but I figure it's as good a place to start as any.

[Edit: The idea is more rye bread than sausage. When the average person thinks of rye, they're thinking of rye bread, dominant flavor of which is caraway seed.]

ahhh yes, i.e. pumpernickel. Thinking along those lines, that sounds pretty fantastic!

Eeewwww, Not a fan of caraway.

But, if you do it, you should consider toasting them either in the oven or in a dry pan. This dramatically improves the flavor of spices. And possibly cracking them?

I've been planning a caraway wheat/rye for months myself. It's gonna be my first all-grain batch. I have all the grains in the freezer, just not a big enough brew kettle yet.

There are a few commercial brews that use caraway. (Names don't immediately come to mind, but I found them when researching the idea.)

My recipe includes one tablespoon for a 5 gallon batch. I plan to very lightly toast them before adding them to the boil for 10 minutes. I have no idea if a tablespoon is a good amount, but I figure it's as good a place to start as any.

[Edit: The idea is more rye bread than sausage. When the average person thinks of rye, they're thinking of rye bread, dominant flavor of which is caraway seed.]

The same thoughts in my mind. How did your's go?

PintOfBitter said:
ahhh yes, i.e. pumpernickel. Thinking along those lines, that sounds pretty fantastic!

I have a pumpernickel porter "experiment" in the primary right now myself. I started with a rye stout base and wanted just a hint of the caraway, and not so much it overpowered the beer. So, instead of adding it early in the boil or to the secondary, I added it as soon as I turned off the heat on the boil. So, it was only in there long enough for the cool down and until the funnel filter into primary. Guess we'll see how that goes in a few weeks!

I believe La Chouffe uses caraway, or at least a lot clone recipes for it do. I'm interested in the usage of it. I'm planing a Clone for it.

Update on my caraway experiment. Just kegged the pumpernickel porter a few days ago and it's just starting to carbonate (just my luck ran out of co2 that day). Anyway, cold but flat, it came out well.

After I mentioned I had only added the caraway after the boil because I didn't want it too strong, I was still worrying that caraway would overpower. Looks like I went too far in the opposite direction. I can only get the faintest hint of it, and then only if I really look hard for the taste. I guess changing my mind after brewing worked out in the end... Turns out the beer didn't really need it.

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk

Update on my caraway experiment. Just kegged the pumpernickel porter a few days ago and it's just starting to carbonate (just my luck ran out of co2 that day). Anyway, cold but flat, it came out well.

After I mentioned I had only added the caraway after the boil because I didn't want it too strong, I was still worrying that caraway would overpower. Looks like I went too far in the opposite direction. I can only get the faintest hint of it, and then only if I really look hard for the taste. I guess changing my mind after brewing worked out in the end... Turns out the beer didn't really need it.

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk

See if we can get this post rolling again? I was searching for uses of caraway and found this post. This was my experience as well. Erring on the safe side, I added 1/2 oz whole caraway in teabag at knockout and whirl-pooled 10 minutes. Now that beer is done, I'm getting little if any contribution in flavor profile I aimed for. As plan B, I plan to toast and dry "hop" with another 1/2 oz in keg. Any thoughts on this approach?

I've thought about this too. I think it would go great in a Munich I/II-heavy brew - like a good pumpernickel from the bread crust/toasty flavor you get from Munich.

Several years ago I brewed a rye porter and steeped some caraway before chilling to yeast pitching temperature. I liked the results.
I don't remember the exact amount and all my notes are still unpacked from our move.

Usually any time I am adding a spice or lemon zest or anything else post-boil, I make a tincture out of it.
Take about 4 oz vodka and soak the additive for a week. The vodka will extract flavors and essential oils. Then you can add it (the vodka tincture) to the fermenter without worry because the vodka has also sterilized it.

It would be a worthwhile experiment to put a bunch of caraway in a shot glass of vodka and see how well it extracts the flavor before potentially screwing up a batch of beer.

Maybe I'll try that this weekend.

See if we can get this post rolling again? I was searching for uses of caraway and found this post. This was my experience as well. Erring on the safe side, I added 1/2 oz whole caraway in teabag at knockout and whirl-pooled 10 minutes. Now that beer is done, I'm getting little if any contribution in flavor profile I aimed for. As plan B, I plan to toast and dry "hop" with another 1/2 oz in keg. Any thoughts on this approach?

Returning to this thread. I reverted to plan "B" with 1/2oz toasted caraway seeds in keg (keg-hopping). Nice contribution from caraway using this approach.

Back