Adding cane sugar to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perramus

Reaction score
Hi,

a week ago I brew a beer trying to use the remainings of the past year. It starts as something weird but later it takes the form of some kind of "special bitter". The recipe is as follows:

- 5 gal. (in the fermenter)
- OG 1.040
- SRM 10
- IBU 33.7
- 6.6 lb. Pale Ale Cargill
- 1.1 lb. Castle Chateau Arome
- 1.1 lb. Castle Chateau Cara Ruby
- 1.2 oz. Argentinian Cascade FWH
- 0.35 oz. Argentinian Cascade at knockout
- Safale S04

I know that it's overloaded in special malts, but I was trying to use all the remainings I had. Now it have 1 week fermenting, whithout transfer to secondary, and the taste is a bit cloying with FG 1.013 (above the 1.010 that I expected). Trying to adjust the flavor, I'm thinking in adding maybe a 10% of cane sugar (0,9 lb) boiled in 0.8 gal of water, in order to not alter the OG.
The questions I have are: is this a good idea? will the yeast ferment the cane sugar after a week?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Are you sure about those estimated IBU's? I understand that Argentinian cascade hops are not like US, more like a noble hop and very low AA. You may be down in the 16-18 IBU range. It sounds like you've got a malty grainbill and are underbittered. Adding sugar is just going to boost the alcohol but I don't think will solve your problem. Maybe brew a second batch and mix?

Edit: by the way you will be increasing the effective OG by adding sugar. I think you meant you are trying not to contribute to the FG
Second edit: okay, I've had a few so reading comprehension is down. You're going to add volume and sugar so might not change the OG. Just diluting the IBU's even more though. Again, without adding bitterness don't think you'll solve your problem.

Last edited:
I've made the calcs with 8%AA, that are the original AA value. However, the hops are a bit old and maybe this value is lower now, soy maybe you are right and the beer is unbalanced.

I don't know your level of experience but I've made a beer that had that cloying flavor before bottling but with the carbonation it became just a slightly malty beer. A FG of 1.013 should not be cloying but your hops could be lower in AA than expected. The current crop is only 3.2% AA.

You might be able to raise the bitterness and gain some flavor by making a hop tea to add to your beer.

https://beerandbrewing.com/use-hops-tea-to-enhance-flavors-in-your-beer/

I don't know your level of experience but I've made a beer that had that cloying flavor before bottling but with the carbonation it became just a slightly malty beer. A FG of 1.013 should not be cloying but your hops could be lower in AA than expected. The current crop is only 3.2% AA.

You might be able to raise the bitterness and gain some flavor by making a hop tea to add to your beer.

https://beerandbrewing.com/use-hops-tea-to-enhance-flavors-in-your-beer/

Great! I'll try that. I'm from Argentina and have three years brewing all-grain.

Back