Adding Candi sugar directly to the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redhawk96

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with adding Belgian Candi sugar directly into your primary fermentor 24-48 hours into fermentation, rather than adding late in the boil?

I have used this technique with honey on multiple occasions when making Saisons with 3711 yeast, and have gotten great results (A technique I read about here on HBT). The theory is that you get your yeast going on the tougher to ferment sugars produced from the grain before introducing the easier to ferment simple sugars from the honey. The result is a drier finish to the beer, which I think accentuates the flavor profile of Saison fermented with 3711. I make sure to sanatize the honey container as well as around the top of the fermentor to reduce the risk of any contamination.

Would this same theory be applicable to candi sugar as well? It seems to me that the same theory would be in play, but I have found no evidence on here of anyone using this technique.

I am making a Belgian tripel tomorrow and I am thinking of adding the 3# (10 gal. batch) of candi sugar to the fermentor, unless someone can tell me this would be a mistake?

I think it should work. I recently added apple jelly to a cider. It just sat at the bottom of the fermenter for a few days -- but it eventually all dissolved and/or was attacked and eaten by the yeast. The only problem was I couldn't get a real OG hydrometer reading.

Was probably a lot less stressful on the yeast than having so much osmotic pressure right from the start.

I usually only add sugar or syrup after fermentation starts. I find it helps preserve the aromatics of the syrup, lets the yeast not get overwhelmed by such a large OG, and also helps re-rouse the yeast to finish up the job better. I like to toss it in when the krausen starts receding. For sugar, I'd dissolve in water, boil, and cool. Syrups I just pour in from the container

Back