Adding Brett to a Helles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbedell

Reaction score
After trying (and loving) Evil Twin's "Brett Yeast & Helles" i've been inspired to try to make a similar one at home.

I plan on using this recipe for my Helles base:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/recipe-of-the-week-munich-helles/

From what I've gathered reading about this subject across multiple websites, it's a good idea to ferment to as close to final gravity as possible before adding the Brett? So my thinking is I will follow the above recipe to final gravity and then add a couple packs of Brett after the Helles has been removed from the fridge and allowed to slowly warm to room temp (70-75). Does this sound reasonable? Read some comments from a professional brewer who says he typically lets the Brett sit in the beer for about 2 weeks before bottling...any thoughts? I've read other recipes that say let the Brett do it's thing for 12-15 weeks before bottling, but I believe these are for Brett exclusive brews.

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated!

Beau

I have dosed some bright beers with brett, they were already carbonated and bottled. It took around 2 months for them to develop some tartness and brett aromas. The gravity dropped a little bit and carbonation increased again. This was done at cellar temperatures (10 - 12C). At room temp they should work much faster.

Latest posts

Back