Added table sugar to get a higher ABV, is it gonna make the yeast lazy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali01

Reaction score
Hi
I added some sugar to up the ABV to some extent, is it gonna make the yeast lazy? Is it going to lead to a stuck fermentation? I heard someone saying the yeast will eat all the simple sugars and when it gets to the more complex sugars, it'll have trouble eating those

I heard someone saying the yeast will eat all the simple sugars and when it gets to the more complex sugars, it'll have trouble eating those
This isn't wrong, but I think it gets a bit overblown at times. It probably only causes real trouble in very high gravity worts. So if you're brewing a really big beer and trying to make it even bigger by adding simple sugar, it's best to add the sugars or syrups after fermentation is well underway.

I agree with Erik. Your beer will be fine. I just brewed an ale with SG of 1.090 and 10% simple sugar. Got 86% apparent attenuation, exactly as expected.

Thanks for the replies, they're really reassuring

Back