Add Yeast for Cream ale after aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garhof

Reaction score
So I got started making a few wine kits and was waiting on some kegs and I spaced off this cream ale. Its been in secondary probably 4 months. Should I pitch some new yeast in it to bottle (still dont have all my parts for kegging)?

There is a small yeast cake at the bottom, I did transfer this to secondary, I knew I wasnt going to get it it super quick, just didnt realize it would be this long. I was also thinking of throwing in some sugar and stir up the cake a bit to see if i got any renewed fermentation and then add sugar again when I go to bottle.

Thanks with any help!

You should be good to go. There is enough yeast in suspension to properly carbonate, but don't add additional sugar to the secondary and rouse the yeast.

If you are concerned about it, you can add a small amount of neutral flavored dry yeast (like US05) when you add the sugar to your bottling bucket. Give it a really good mixing and bottle.

Back