Add honey into primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theck

Reaction score
I messed up slightly during boil on an xmas ale. I was warming up honey in hot water to get it loosened up to put in after flame out and about half spilled out after it tipped over, blah... anyhow, I think I can still add more into the primary but my question is would it make the beer too sweet compared to at flame out? Would it be sanitary, no bacteria? If it's ok to do when is a good time, after fermentation or while? thanks!

theck said:
I messed up slightly during boil on an xmas ale. I was warming up honey in hot water to get it loosened up to put in after flame out and about half spilled out after it tipped over, blah... anyhow, I think I can still add more into the primary but my question is would it make the beer too sweet compared to at flame out? Would it be sanitary, no bacteria? If it's ok to do when is a good time, after fermentation or while? thanks!
you can add it as fermentation begins to slow down and no, it will not make the beer sweet, the sugars ferment out and honey will actually thin and dry the beer out a bit and bump the ABV a little as well.

Back